Waiting for ads.lawnsite.com....................

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Team-Green L&L, Mar 21, 2007.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

reality check time. ad buttons DO slow down the site. whenever someone pulls up lawnsite.com it has to download all 900 of the ads. Those files have to be pulled off the servers diskdrive thousands of times per second. even if they're being stored in solid state memory (which I doubt) it still hogs up precious server processor I/O.

When someone's on a dialup line those ad's take several seconds to load, most people have broadband, but they still can clog up some bandwidth, especially when they have to be downloaded each time you refresh the page.

Ad blockers (when properly configured) can instruct the browser not to wait for the ads to download while it assembles the page. Those ads get loaded invisibly after the page has all the other information on it. They can also be programmed not to accept certain ads and block them from receiving them.

The bottom line is, when you're serving up 10's of thousands of ad files each second, things get saturated... bandwidth, CPU, disk drives, memory, caches

2. TurfEditor

TurfEditor Group Publisher

Slow access is a problem, and we want to do everything we can to make sure it's not caused from our end, but you simply can't blame it on ad buttons.

Each button is a couple of K. It would take over 200 buttons to equal 1 meg. Right now, there are 66 buttons on the page. That's around 350 K total. Even a dial up can zip that through.

If your high-speed connection is slowing down, it's not because of a measley 350 K of ad buttons.

DC

3. BSDeality

In case anyone is interested in the math... 350K/4Kbs on dial-up = 87.5 seconds!

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't sound so zippy now, huh? LOL

5. BSDeality

I just realized it should be 40kbs not 4. so its really 8.75 seconds actually.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

...that would be too slow for me.