waiting to use pre-em in late spring?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Dec 26, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

To cut costs (while still getting season-long crabgrass, etc control with just one treatment), several competitors here wait until their second application (late spring) before applying their pre-emergent. This seems to always work here in the upper Midwest. This means applying a fairly heavy rate of balanced fert in early spring, then in late spring........ applying the fert + pre in late April -- mid June so it lasts. Also, land-grant universities recommend heavy fert in late fall, with the next heaviest rate of fert in early spring. So, to me this makes sense.

This is a program change from the normal of year's past, but to me it makes sense.

rscvp, thanks-------especially with the costs going up.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

There is a risk involved. If you are like me, it takes you a while to get through your round. The risk is a warm spell, this can really mess you up.
    I used to always apply prodiamine with my second round, and always got away with it, till one year, right when I had just finished my 1st round, we had a spring heat wave. I was servicing about 600 lawns at the time and I was late getting pre-emergent on 350 of them.:cry:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Wouldn't you be better off just using a one-time app on the first go around & then a fert only on the second? My problem is that weather changes so fast here that I feel better safe than sorry & have to use correctional measures because I tried a shortcut.

4. LawnTamer

I think his goal is to get season long control with just one app. without having to use a mega heavy dose of prodiamine.

You know, actually with prodiamine prices dropping, that's not a bad idea, just use prodiamine at the 8 month control rate with the first app.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What if you just delay your pre app about 30-45 days and use Dimension?

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Two things I recommend. If you use Dimension you can wait a little longer which around here is late April or when the ground temperatures are around 50 degrees F. Dimension will kill up to the third tiller stage and if you use it in a WSP or liquid form it becomes active much faster. I have done this the past 4 years and have had excellent results. I do not apply fertilizer with Dimension as early spring fertilization causes to much top growth and problems later in the year when it becomes dry. I can't believe Iowa State recommends the second heaviest fertilization in the spring unless they are talking about later in the spring and then only a very high slow release fert.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I've been doing, and this is a HUGE subject that needs to be explored further between all of us. Granted, some of us are in some different zones than others, but still there are several pros and cons. Let us commence.

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I have use dimension in June with good good results in my vast experience it seem like crabgrass does not really grow to much till after the soil gets good and hot than it goes nuts at first it germinates and kind of just sit there.
    my thought is it would work for most years any way there's always that exception.
    Charles Cue

9. LawnTamer

Commence we shall.
    I have never had really good results with Dimension. I don't think it is well suited to our desert climate. We go from germination past tillering stage at race car pace. Plus dimension doesn't seem to stand up to the heavy irrigation applied by homeowners. Anyone else found this? I hear ya'll talk about dimension like it's solid gold and I'm doin' this:dizzy: Not that many use it here, despite it's obvious advantages of not staining and being able to kill well into the tillering stage.
    Prodiamine, I love it! Occasionally I have a problem with some of it not staying in suspension, anyone else have this problem?
    Pendi- has given me fairly good results, but I am worried about root pruning. Also 2 apps. of orange clothes dye is hard on everything white.:laugh:

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Around here Trugreen does a first ap in March with straight fertilizer. Not sure if that is their regular program. Crabgrass control comes later. When they went to more aps per year they had to add another ap in March and November.

Myself I prefer to start about March 15 with pre, and finish my crabgrass aps about first week of May. Last year I used prodiamine part of the time and Dimension part of the time. Dimension was slightly better--but--maybe I didn't use enough prodiamine.

I have no problem with a full ap of fertilizer in early spring. 19-0-6 for instance, in my view it causes no problem. The weather is cool--growth of the grass is somewhat slow during April and most of May.

If you mow grass (I don't)--sure the grass is going to be a little more difficult to mow when seed heads are forming in late May and early June. It seems to me the fastest growth occurs in late summer--if the fertilizer is applied, temps are hot, and rain or sprinkling is heavy. I suspect late summer rain days are tough on you cutters.