Waiver of lien

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Oct 20, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever get one from a customer? A new customer of mine is this "big time" developer and every time I get a check from him for mowing, he has this waiver in the envelope. My wife sais she gets them from builders after construction has finished, but Ive never gotten one from just mowing. It even has to be signed by notary public & returned to him. My wife is a notary public, but that would sure be a pita for just a $45 cut. Im like "doesnt the canceled check protect him from liens of his property?"

2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I deal with those all the time. It's just a simple paper you sign off on after you are paid. That way the guy has it and can prove you were paid and can't go back and say he didn't pay you. You could even go to your clients with a "conditional waiver" saying they have this much time to pay you before you lien that job ;)

3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Sounds like a pain but in the long run it does seem like a very smart idea for both parties.

4. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

It is a smart idea for both parties. I'm a drywall contractor, and it is smart for both parties when dealing with checks of thousands of dollars at a time. It's the nature of the business on that kind of stuff. But it seems like that's kind of tight of that guy to be soooo by the book on a $40 or so deal.

5. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Don't touch this document.....

For those that aren't familiar with me....I'm a mechanical engineer that decided to do what I enjoyed.......lawn care and fert & squirt.

I used to own my own metal fabrication & steel erection business and dealt with General Contractors all the time. A Lien Waiver is always used for companies like mine that made everything nice and neat for the end customer but made payments become extremely slow. If you are just merely mowing his lawn and other stuff (private residence) tell him to kiss his backside. However, if you are doing commercial landscaping for properties he is developing then the waiver is appropriate. Just totally unnecessary.