Wal-mart oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Who makes their oil and oil filters?

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Walmart awards their oil contracts to the lowest bidder. Last time I heard, Quaker State was making Walmart's oil. I think it's called Tech 2000. Not sure about the filters though.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That is the way I understand it too...Quakerstate.

The filter I believe is made by Champion Labs. They also make filter for many other companies, like STP, Deutsch, Lee, Car & Driver and more. Look at the bottom of a Wal-Mart filter, I think Champion Labs have 6 large inlet holes with one being bigger than the others. Don't confuse what I am referring to with the large threaded outlet hole.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy mine from there. :) Great stuff for .99 a bottle. I change oil every 2 weeks and that is a great way to go. ;)

5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have bought my two-cycle oil from there for some time now and have always thought it was a great oil. However about two weeks ago when i went in I bought another case of the little oil things. IT IS ****. Ever since I poured the first drop of that mix into my equipment everything has been smoking and running really bad. and yes i mixed correctly.

Always before the oil i bought from there has been a red oil just like what you can buy with the Red-max name on it. This time it was a thick black oil that seemed a slightly different consistency than other 2-cycle oils.

Saying this to warn those of you who use oil from wal-mart - It is not always the same thing. One week it may be great - the next it may be black water and you will never know the difference.

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Walmart sells Mobile1;)

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I usually wait until Auto Zone has Texaco Havoline on sale for $.79 a qt. and get enough to last a season for all mowers and vehicles.

8. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Havoline is probably a good choice. From what I hear, it is the cleanest running motor oil on the market today. They say it is high in detergents.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct....

However, believe it or not, the filters are actually very high quality to be a Champion Lab filter. In fact, to my knowledge, they are better than all of the brand names listed above. All of the Super Tech filters I use have the synthetic fiber enhanced filter media. The flimsy paper elements in most Champion Labs filters has been this company's only downfall.

The ones I'm using on my mowers seem to be doing a great job. Plus I'm able to use filters that have 2 to 3 times the capacity and filter media compaired to the OEM filters. I get more engine oil capacity and more filtering area. Neither seem like a bad idea to me.

As for the oil, I don't use it. I lost an engine within a few hours of switching to their synthetic oil in one of my other mowers. I don't know 100% if that was the cause. But I don't feel like pushing my luck again.

I'm extremely pleased with the Castrol GTX 10w 30 I'm using now.

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I have used it in my trucks for a while, no problems at all. There is a study somewhere done on New York Cabs, that "proved" there is almost 0 difference between oils of any different manufacture. I think they said that synthetics are a little better, but not much at all. Someone probably has a link to it. I have heard a ton of bad things about Fram filters, I know a guy that races bikes and mini-cars that blew an engine because the fram filter failed, and hasnt sold one in his shop since. Also other similar stories. I still use them sometimes, because with that new grip, they are so easy to take off its hard to refuse... but that grip also holds in heat, which is bad. So who knows?