Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of getting my flier in the local newspaper, my target area is about 12000 people.......my thoughts are offering a $21.99 mowing to all, first off the idea of not dropping my gate for less than $30.00 are not working.....the other big LCO's are charging the same as I am, if not more....I figure I go the Wal-Mart way, drop the prices and see who bites.....I have even thought of labeling the truck with the price....while at HD today the truck they rent has $19.99 all over it....this is the first thing you notice, then you see the rest of the vehicle....if I keep my routes tight, it should work....I have no overhead to worry about, I just got a helper for the summer....any thoughts???

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion.......

Every single idea you mentioned in your post is a bad idea.

BAD.

;)

Offer a 10% discount with flier or a $10 off coupon *with a minimun of $75 of work.......something else other than posting a flat mowing price.

3. Toy2

Scott, at least your honest....I'm open to anything in order to get some more customers...I've got every teenager in town coming out of the woodwork....schools out for summer....

4. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Your hired come mow my 2 acre lawn for 22 bucks , oh dont forget to trim and blow.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Hang in there.

Do high quality work.

Always blow down every blade of grass.

Keep sharp blades.

Do not tear up turf.

Keep your truck clean and waxed.

Keep your clothes clean and free from holes.

Watch your mouth.

Don't smoke on your customers properties.

Go the extra mile for the customers property.

6. Toy2

I figure the average yard around here is 14,000 to 17,000 sq feet....I am just targeting a certain city.....I know the lay out because I live here....my other flier had "yards starting at $30.00"...not one call from it...figure I would try JustMowIts approach...

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

What if you can't keep your route tight enough at first and you go under b4 you get enough accounts. Why not add up all money you will lose per lawn by cutting your price and spend that amount on more advertising to see what happens. I'd rather spend more advertising than lose XX amount each time I mow. Just my .02 ,,,,,your area is much different than mine I am sure.

8. Toy2

Thanks for all the info...it really is helpful...."stick to my guns"...as others have said.... :D

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

When I got started $30.00 a cut wasnt working for me either, I couldnt bare to lose a possible account so I started dropping prices to $25. I hated doing $25 cuts cause I wasnt making the money I wanted, then when I hired $25 were really starting to hurt me. Stick to your guns, at $30 a piece you only have to do 4 jobs for the same money as doing 5 at $25. Once you get up 100-200 accounts that can really add up to lost money.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

A Martinez,

I am not a fan of advertising prices. When I started in the business three years ago, the going rate for the average lawn in my area was $25 to $27. Today it is $20 to $22.

The reason for the price decrease is because some of the LCO's advertise price. All it takes is for one LCO with a large advertising budget to single handedly reduce pricing in the market place.

I've had tremendous success with advertisements that have no prices on them. Only after a customer calls do they get a price from me. Honestly, I just don't see the need to advertise price. From what I've seen, it can only lead to bad things.

Get the door hangers out and your schedule should start to fill. The easy pickin' part of the door hanger season is over (March & April). Now you will have to work a lot harder to get someone to call. But if you get the door hangers out, they will call.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper