Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Jan 24, 2002.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone done work for wal-mart before? I've been trying to get my foot in the door at my local wal-mart but all I get is run around. Store manager tells me to talk with corporate corporate tells me to talk to the store manager and so on. If anyone can tell me the best way to get to the person I need to talk to that would be great.

This is really driveing me crazy. The company that did it last year did such a bad job I know the contract is mine if I can just get to the person who I need to talk to.

thanks for all the help everyone
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

do a search on wal mart. i recall a fairly lengthy post on people who have done or are doing work for wal mart.
  3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be a Sams Club manager (owned by Wal-Mart)about 10 years ago. I can tell you for sure that the store manager is the one giving you the runaround. They are responsible for all grounds maintenance issues including snowplowing. He then usually has to get approval from his Regional Director of Operations after receiving multiple bids. Once he has chosen his vendor\supplier\LCO, you might be lucky enough to get paperwork to fill out to get an account number as a vendor for the home office to pay you. Be expected to wait long periods for payment. They didn't get where they are by paying on a timely basis. If you aren't lucky enough to get direct billing to the home office and you must submit your bill to the local store, be willing to wait even longer. They can "batch" you invoice the next month if they are coming close to a bonus month or home office wants cuts this month for profitability statements to shareholders. Either way, all I can advise you is, don't bother! I have a friend who does heavy snowplowing for lots the size of Wal Marts. He does the local Sams here and I swear he'll have a heart attack one of these days dealing with them. Too much salting, not enough salting, calls all night long for minor incidents. Go for other commercial complexes and such that have actual lawns and not parking lots. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped.

4. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

My suggestion would be to get something in writing about the pay and who pays you. I say this because of what happened to my father n law. He used to clear their parking lots in the winter. He always was there for them immediately but when it came time to pay, they claimed they had to go through the home office in Bentonville. Now you would think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal because he lives here in Arkansas, and it wouldn't take that long. Well, notice that I said he used to clear their lot.
  5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that one of the requirements for vendors receiving payment is 180 days and that is standard. I guess with billions of dollar being paid 180 days later, alot ($millions$) in interest is made for shareholders and vendors have to budget this before they commit to Mr. Walton's chain.
  6. You need to get in touch with THF realty. Sam Waltons nephue. They are the prop owners around here and many other cities.

BTW Sam Walton is dead.
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Our Walmart in Burlington Iowa is all cement parking and building. I do have 2 Flex-Deck Trimming attachments on the Burlington hospital across the street (about 45 acres of mowing) on 2 455 JD's, and am going to mount one on the Community Collage in the next month. They demo'd my 455 60" deck + 18" added with the flexi deck plus all the trimming and contour mowing ability it has and they are going to eliminate a large pull behind and more. They plan on mowing the whole campus with one mower, and they will do it.

I guess to answer the question about walmart - in our area they have nothing to mow.
  8. I've learned more in your post than I've been able to find out in two months of letter writing, phone calls, and trips to the local Wal-Mart.

So I guess you're saying that my troubles are just beginning if I get the bid.
    It seems a lot of companys operate this way. Really crap on their suppliers. But it sounds like they may have crossed the line.

Thanks again

9. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

may advice would be to stay away from contracts like wal-mart!!i had wal-mart contract for 2 years and it was nothing but hassel.if u do get it better have some major cash flow because they r net 60.check is always in mail, heard that week after week surprized i have any hair left.concentrate on accounts that want great service and in return pay in timely manner. i like ur attitude .:p
  10. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Pa, Wal-Mart is a fast pay compared to Eckerd Drug. I damn near had to kill someone before I got paid. I was so upset of all the problems from Eckerd I dropped 19 Eckerd Drug stores in one day! (I had their plowing and parking lot sweeping also). They had $40,000 outstanding for over six months. When I dropped them it took me almost a year to collect.