Walbro WT-20 Carb problem ??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by freda, Mar 31, 2008.

1. freda

freda LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman 16" Chainsaw that is in good condition other than the current carburator problem (Walbro WT-20). The problem is that the fuel coming out of the air-intake section of the carb, like the vacumn is shot. Is there anyone out there that knows this problem, and how to fix it ?? I am thinking of buying a rebuild kit, but I'm not sure on how to do it because this will be my first rebuild. If there are any suggestions out there, I sure would appreciate it.

Also...maybe someone had the same problem and they can tell me how they fixed it ??

Thanks.

2. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

Freda, are you seeing small droplets of gas being spit back out of the carb when the saw is revved?

3. freda

freda LawnSite Member

Yes...exactly. When I have the air housing exposed, I can see gas droplets flying out of the carbuator air-intake hole.

4. scottr 2006

from alabama

My little Poulan 2000 does the same thing but it idles, runs, and cuts well. How is your saw running?

5. freda

freda LawnSite Member

Too much fuel is accumulating in the carburator housing. The saw is not running well as a result. I think the fuel is choking the air inlet.

6. scottr 2006

from alabama

If you'll list the model number of your saw it would help to identify the manufacturer.

7. freda

freda LawnSite Member

The saw is a Craftsman 358.355160. The carb is a Walbro WT-20. I'm not sure what you mean by "identify the manufacturer". (??)

8. scottr 2006

from alabama

The Sears saws with the 358 prefix are made by Poulan. It looks like my Poulan 2000. Have you had to adjust the carb to get the saw to run? The initial setting for the low and high speed mixture screws are one turn open from lightly seated.

9. freda

freda LawnSite Member

I may have prevoiusly adjusted the carb settings, but would this cause gas to come out of the carb air-inlet ?? There is so much gas in the carb housing, it is leaking out. It's not normal for that to happen...I don't think. Could this be caused by a carb screw being out of adjustment ?

10. scottr 2006

from alabama

It is not normal for spit back to cause the gas to puddle in the carb area. I would think that you have a fuel leak at the inlet nipple. Could this saw have been run with a clogged air filter and it sucked in some dirt/sawdust to get stuck in the reed valve under the carb?