1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind 36-48"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 6, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am going to buy my first walk behind mower next week and have only one concern? Should i get a 36" or 48" fixed deck EXMARK -Metro gear drive?What is the biggest difference?This will be my first and only primary mower to get started. (I may get a 21" to trim )I do not have any yards with gates, and no yards are that big. some have trees and stuff that i am scared will be hard to go around with the 48". My question with the 36" is yes it will be easier to go around cust. yards, but if i do get a larger yard to cut will i have to turn it down due to the mower being too small? HELP!!!! Is there any recomindation on what is the maximum size yard to cut with a 36" or 48". Has anyone found the 48" to be too big for small to medum residential yards. THANKS for any input!!!!!:confused:
  2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the bigger one, you can work faster, get done quicker, profit more, and take on more work. It'll pay for itself quickly.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

The difference will be in time spent vs. slight extra cost for a 48".
    The 48 will have a bigger engine and will have more power. You will see a major difference in completion times between the 2. Getting around in a small lawn will not be a problem once you get accustomed to it. You will not be able to get into a gated lawn area. You could just turn down any of those as you said. You could consider getting a 44" Toro. You get the extra HP and are able to get through some gates. The t-bar is easier on the user than pistol grips.
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Metro HP 48" 15hp Kaw. Its a great machine! I would deffinately, hands down reccomend the larger 48" deck. You will have NO problem going around obstacles once you get accustomed to the machine and the controls. I would also highly reccomend the floating deck. This is the HP model of the Metro. I say this for multiple reasons, including:

Larger, rear drive wheels for better traction, drive, and ease of going over obstacles (such as curbs).

Floating deck reduces scapling alot.

Height adjustment with the floating deck is WAY easier than adjusting with a fixed deck. Just pull 4 pins, and adjust the height, and replace the pins. No hassel. With the fixed deck you have to mess with spacers on the from canasters....and bolts in the rear. This can take alot more time, not to mention being a big pain in the butt.

At the time of my purchase I was "talked" into paying the extra money and getting the floating deck (Metro HP) over the fixed deck (Metro). I was a little skeptical to say the least. Well, my dealer wasn't blowing hot air. Every time I adjust my deck I think of what a pain it would be if it were fixed. I love the larger wheels, and would never cut with a fixed deck. Why scalp if you can prevent it? Spend the money now, you are going to be using this machine alot, you won't regret it!
  5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

52" + 32" + 21" this combination will not win the big game but it will get the job done
  6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

buy the 48....if you have no gates buy a 52. This could be a main mower for years to come.
    Concerning larger mowers on avg to small lots, I use my 60" Lazer whenever I can.
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

like they have said, go with the biggest you can afford since you have no gates to deal with. also you can get a 48 thru a double gate (i'd imagine 72's would fit thru all of them).

the 48 would actually be easier to trim around trees with as most have an offset deck (one blade further up than the other). this will keep your rear wheel out of any mulch or other things (flowers, shrubs). i use a 36" exmark metro and love it, but i have also gotten some larger accounts where the wide path and speed would really help me. trying to get a 52" Lazer HP soon (looks like i'll get the Kohler 20 after reading the kawi thread).
  8. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Like all have stated above, get the 48'' or a 52''. I find them easier to run than a 36'' mower. ( Less trimming, striping and turning them around)
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, get the 48" over the 36" if for nothing more, the deck overhang. I traded my 36" Exmark in on a 52" Lazer Hp. I kept my 48" Exmark and my only regret is I wish I would have gotton the Turf Tracer for the floating deck. Next year I will trade the 48" Viking in on a TTHP, probally a 52" cut. I highly reccomend, if you can afford it buy a hydro drive over a belt/gear. It is worth the extra, IMHO. Good luck.
  10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

48" without a doubt. Its just as easy to maneuver and will be a lot faster. If it were me I would beg someone to borrow the extra for a hydro.