Walk behind- BillyGoat, RedHawk, Swisher...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by M1A Springfield, Dec 23, 2006.

1. M1A Springfield

M1A Springfield LawnSite Member

Hello all. I have been looking for a wide cut mower (32"+) for my lawn, and wonder what would be the best for about $1500. Anyone have experience with the entry level mowers from BillyGoat, RedHawk, Swisher or Sutech? My other option would be a used Exmark, but don't know about maintenance costs of an older professional mower. Any input is appreciated!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Quick 36. there banner is on top.

3. M1A Springfield

I had looked at those (and read nothing but glowing reviews), but once it is shipped, it's close to $2000. I'm kinda pushing my limit with $1500. However, if nothing below that amount is worthwhile, I may have to put it off another year until I can raise the $$$.

4. John Gamba

from ct

Better to wait then hate what you bought.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard bad things about the billy goat and sutech. The swisher is not commercial so I don't know much about it. I saw one a tractor supply and it looked like junk. Most around here hate red hawks. I don't like them because I only like kawi engines. I would spend the extra and buy the Q36 if I was you.

6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Best advice you'll hear on the matter.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Several years ago I bought a Troy Bilt that looks a little like the Billygoat and that machine cut a lot of yards. The Billygoat looks a little heavier than the Troybilt so I think you will be fine. These machines can last a long time if you maintanin them, don't cut rocks, and other big debris. The handles are a weak point but you just have to watch and don't try to pick up the mower by the handles.

8. John Gamba

from ct

The thing is that the Hydro on the Quick is allot better then the geer drive on the others.

Did i say Merry christmas Ed??:waving:

9. M1A Springfield

Thank you all for the imput. Seems like I need to pony up to get what I reallk want (no free lunch:nono: ). Thanks again.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to chime in here, I have a Billy Goat 33" walk behind and while it is a gear drive it is clearly better than the Sutech and Swisher. If you want a heavy duty machine for the $ 1,500 you have ... Billy Goat is the way to go.