Walk Behind blade speed increase.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pzorrill, Sep 7, 2003.

1. pzorrill

pzorrill LawnSite Member
    from miami

Is there a way to speed up blade speed on Toro walk behinds for a better cut?

I'm wasting too much time picking up large clippings even with a mulching blade. Help!!!

Can't afford a Dixie Chopper yet so that option's out.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

yes there is a way by adjusting the high speed idle . dont mean to burst your bubble, but i wouldnt do this myself and i doubt a toro dealer would take the machine out of manufaturers specs.

3. pzorrill

pzorrill LawnSite Member
    from miami

Thanks, I figured raising engine speed is an option but like you, I don't think I want to go that route. I wonder if I can find a smaller pulley and change the belt size. Any thoughts?

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd re-think this idea if I were you. What if something happens, like the blade breaks off and hits someone or something. The manufacture has the blade speed set for a reason- OSHA.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

again this would take the machine out of manufacturers specs by altering its original setup a. plus by running a smaller pulley you would gain blade speed but at the expense of torque. it all sounds kind of risky to me. not to be a smart--- but have you considered buying a mower with higher blade speed?

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What blade/deck set up are you using on your machine?
    What exact type blade(s)?
    If using mulching blade, single or double, are you discharging or have a mulching kit installed?

7. pzorrill

pzorrill LawnSite Member
    from miami

Thanks for your input guys.

To be precise:

1. I understand the OSHA and safety issue. That has been the main reason for not messing with it (yet).

2. I unfortunately cannot yet afford a mower with a higher blade speed (ie; Dixie Chopper)

This is my residential mower (main one):

Toro Proline 32" walk behind
    dual blade (Mulching blades)
    side discharge
    No bagger.

Again, thanks for the input.

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

First are you sure your engine is even turning spec? 3600 rpm You could easily bump your rpm a 100 rpm and still be safe. Heck how do you think dixie gets the speed? Well the one I demoed was turning almost 3900 at no load WOT. As govenor springs get week the rpm's drop. I gotta Laugh as long as I have been on here I have never heard of a blade breaking off.
    A. Go home and decrease engine speed.

B Buy new blades.

C. Call Insurance man.