Walk-behind blowers, leaves and neighbors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Oct 25, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

When we start a leaf cleanup job we usually use the 72" dixie chopper diesel to mulch the leaves and then blow them into a couple of piles at the edge of the lawns. We then use our walker to suck up the piles and load them into our truck. We have been looking into getting a wb blower or a big buf. turbine blower for the walker. On many occassions whenever we start to work the neighbors are pulling at their blinds trying to see if anything is going to blow into their yards. A few times after were done with a clients yard, the neighbor had just pulled into their drive and have came over and asked how much had blown on to their yard. Do you guys put up with this also? With the big wb blowers how do the neighbors react?

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I have encountered this problem numerous times.
    Here is my response I CAN'T CONTROL THE WEATHER.
    If the wind is not cooperating then some leaves may blow on neighboring lawns.
    Ask them if they stop the leaves from blowing onto your clients property from their lawn???:realmad:

Actually I have had the police called on me twice for this.
    Boy did they laugh when they arrived at the scene of the crime!
    They actually told the people to go inside and stop harassing me and that there is no law against blowing leaves into your neighbors property, and leaves blowing from one house to the next is considered an act of God.

Jason

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell them its a act of god. I didn't blow a single leaf on your yard.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes, it can't be helped. Leaves flutter up and travel. It is no different with high winds as they blow all the way across lawns.
    Now, I HAVE in some cases, cleaned onto part of the neighbors lawn for good margin. I have also done so from the beginning end of the blowing path. There iare some areas othat have real small front yards, and I am very familiar with the neighbors. I will quickly blow their yard off too, for good margin, as if I didn't, their leaves would just be blowing onto my customer's property behind me where I'm blowing, anyway.

5. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

If you are interested in a buffalo turbine let me know...

Since outdoor equipment closed, i can sell to anyone in mo.

kane

kane2@charter.net

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Try a real mulching deck mower. Works in all but the most extreme leaf conditions. I got complimented this spring from a long term customer who said "I love how you bag the leaves, the other guy never did". I don't bag, I mulch. For the pickiest customers make one run over it with a mulcher, then vac up the powder it leaves.

I mowed ONE yard yesterday with a discharge mower to mulch up the leaves, then collected them with other means. Never again. It was so slow in comparison it felt like a waste of time.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

With the big blowers, if you watch what your doing odds are you won't get any leaves in the neighbors yard, unless its windy and of course you'll get a few but heck the tree's do the exact same thing.

What i'd always do is, start about 2 feet into the neighbors lawn and blow the leaves over to basicly outline the yard, then just keep blowing to wherever your destination point is and your working away from the neighbors yard. This always worked well for me. I've had only a couple complaints in all the years and its normally from the wack jobs that you'll experience anyways.

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

bruce, what do you mean a "mulching mower" do you have a dedicated mower to do this or you are reffering to how well the Exmark mulches?

you dont like to mulch and then suck the leaves up? why is that?

what kind of blade setup are you using?

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I do it similar to Runner and kc2006. Now that we are (finally) using fast-vac ZTRs, we rarely use big rolling blowers anyway. Use backpacks around edges and beds to blow onto grass areas, vacuum up, dump in front of leaf vac truck or (preferably) dump back in the customers woods.

We have cleaned off parts of neighbor's lawns due to circumstances :cry: .

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i do have a deciated mower just for muching leaves-my snapper 33 rider. its all its really good for but for leaves it excells