Walk-behind Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blk94fiveOh, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I plan on purchasing a walk behind blower for this fall.
    I've been pricing the "little wonder" blowers, and have noticed that the 10hp Briggs(model 9100) blower is over $300 cheaper than the 9 hp honda(model 9900). I cannot find any useful specs on either of them.

What is the difference between these two models? I know honda makes a great motor, but is it really worth the extra cash? Has anyone had any experience with either of these blowers?

Thanks,
    scott

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I was getting ready to post a similar question and saw yours on here. I'm facing the same debate right now.

My father-in-law works for a Little Wonder dealer. He believes that the only noticible difference in performance is the weight between higher hp and lower hp models. While he favors Honda engines, he can't see a justification for that much of a price difference. I tend to agree.

He told me to hold off on buying one untill he sees the new line comming out soon. He had heard that there is a 5 hp Honda on a similar size housing that promisies to have about the same air velocity and output. Anyone else heard of this?????

I don't want to wait too long because those leaves are going to start falling!

3. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks for the reply...On the little wonder website, they show a new "sho" model that will be available in the "fall of 03". This sounds like its the new model you are refering to.
    http://www.littlewonder.com/sho-blower.html

4. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Honda will outlast the B and S motor especially on hills.
    Keep in mind, though, that if you are using this only for leaves in
    the fall, ask yourself how many hours the unit will run each season. If its less than 100 hours it may not be worth having the
    Honda. If you use it all season, it may be worth the extra money.

5. battags

I saw the SHO, too. I wrote Little Wonder to ask what the performance was like on the new units. The rep said that it out-blows the larger model with the 6hp engine and far out-performs competitors 5hp units.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going with the full sized model with a Briggs.

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Scott --- I don't know where you plan to buy your blower from or how much you are paing, but I'm buying the same one myself from Russo in Chicago for $820 delivered. I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is a bit further away from Chicago than you are. You might want to give them a call. From what I can see, about the only thing to go wrong on this piece of equipment is the engine, and that holds it's own seperate warranty.

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The Weight was My biggest issue w/ the Little Wonders. The Billy Goat's don't blow Quite as Hard but they are or Were Much Much Lighter & easier to manage on slopes & turf.

8. battags

Which engine do you have on the Goat?

9. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I went Honda.

At the time the LW blower was Much Heavier w/the same hp engine.

That may have Changed with this New design.

10. battags

Check it out at Little Wonders site. The blower housing looks a lot slimmer and the impeller is made of composite plastic. I'm pretty sure the full size LW is a steel impeller. Does Billy Goat use metal or plastic?

B