walk behind blowers!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy, Nov 21, 2000.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you used the walk behind blowers. I rented one this weekend, and it was a cheap one, it sure did move some leaves. We did a resort which usually takes us 2.5 days, and by using this blower and mulching the leaves, we knocked our time down to 1.5 days. How expensive are some of these blowers? Our the worth it in the long run? I think if I was to make an investment like that, I would have to change from hourly clean up rates to job rates, do to how effecient it is.

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Not real sure on this topic but i would think you would want to have a substantial amount of large commercial properties to justify owning one, for space reasons along with cost, which im not sure of. But we use bp blowers and they work just great but then again we have no really big commercial properties either.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Walk behind blowers have a lot more power than backpack blowers. However they aren't as monuverable as backpacks. Large areas would benifit from a walk behind.

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a little wonder 8hp blower. It is awsome. It will blow leaves like crazy. On really big jobs we rent a little wonder from Home Depot or a local rental store. These are really handy. Back pack blowers are awsome but just can't blow the quantity of leaves.

5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a little wonder 5 hp walkbehind blower. Wouldn't do leaves without it. It is so nice to have for big areas and parking lots. It is awkward and heavy to move around, but it is well worth it. I think it cost me $500, plus $100 for the front wheel kit. THe front wheel has a bigger tire and it swivels for easier manuevering.

6. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

how much was the 8hp little wonder?

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

An 8 hp walkbehind was one of my first purchases. I have never used anything but (except for a handheld job) once you get the hang of it, its fine for postage stamp and estate lots as well.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was $805.00 out the door with the 8 hp Industrial engine last year. 5 yr. warranty. When I bought it, I did ALOT of comparison. I already had a Billy Goat, which is a great machine by the way. At the dealer, we took the Little Wonder and a brand new Billy Goat, both with 8 hp. out in the lot and stood some bottles up to test them. Well, I ended up buying the Little Wonder.:)

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I had a regular 8HP little wonder, and traded up to the high output this year.....what a difference !
    Go for the High output, and if you can, get the Honda 9 or 11 hp.
    Everyone in my area uses them along with backpacks. You can't beat the time saved clearing (not talking about mulching hear). When you get a pile 4 ft high and you turn that blower into it (providing you don't have a breeze) look out !
    The high output uses a turbine instead of a fan. It is quieter as well. The larger engine sizes have larger fans...One word of caution-if you have the 8hp briggs, check the oil frequently and change every 25 hours.

jeffyr

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Jeffyr hit it on the head, stay away from the briggs and scrapiron engines on these blowers, you will need to add oil at every fillup, and the vibration will shake every nut and bolt loose. I wish I sprang the extra 150 for the Honda.