1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind bush hog..Whats out there??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cujrh10, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I'm in search of some sort of walk behind bush hog/brush cutter. I know I've seen them before but i'm guessing they are far and few between as my searches on here yielded no results. Please let me know what you recommend. He's looking for something in the 40+ inch range

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

back int he 60's gravely made a 2 wheel tractor called the convertible...a few companies are making them again, but I don't think you ever find anything with enough guts to to what a bush hog does
  3. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

yeah, i think you're right....... I want to say I saw a walk behind brush cutter that was red with yellow lettering on it. It had the heavy chains hanging down around some areas of the deck (to knock down things being thrown i guess). Anyways, it looked like a beast.

He has one of kubotas first tractors. It has a pto on the back but its just not big enough to handle a pull behind bush hog. Unfortunately he's not one of those guys that will sell it to buy a bigger one. He holds on to EVERYTHING!!!
  4. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

5. MarcSmith

6. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

DR makes a brush mower as does Swisher and Snapper. Best Outdoor Products just announced a new one, there's a thread about it a couple of pages back, and as Marc mentioned there are several copies of the old Gravely's around although I don't know brand names. The old Gravely's are often found on Craigs list and Ebay.
  7. MarcSmith

13K dig deep
  8. cujrh10

cujrh10 LawnSite Member

lol, no kidding. that things a tank though!
  9. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

I would recommend that you find a good running old Gravely 2 wheeler (with electric start!) that has been rebuilt not to long ago. I have 3 and would be willing to sell one but I live in Sheboygan, WI. These are heavy duty machines built to last.
  10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

theres a snapper here at a pawn shop for $1200 but its only a 25"