1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Confusion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vikings, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I read a lot of threads debating the qualities of Walk behinds, every time I think I made up my mind I read something that changes it.

I asked a dealer about toro he ended up giving me brochures on Gravely.

Here in Winnipeg we don't have an over abundance of choices, there is apparently a scag dealer (according to scag's website) but it's not listed in our Yellow Pages so when it comes to service...

I want a 48" Walk Behind with a sulky/velky thing, Hydro and floating. I do not want to make a mistake and buy something that is inferior or useless. I can't afford to make a mistake.

Gravely, Toro, and Exmark are my real choices here from decent sized dealers.

Are they all just the same and all the arguments and polls we see here at lawn site just peoples preferences?
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

WARNING: Opinion ahead...

If it was my choice, I'd go with the Exmark or Toro.

Both are going to cut well. The Tri-Vantage deck on the Exmark(or Ultra-Cut on the 60" Turf Tracer) or the Turbo Force deck on the Toros, both get high marks here for cut quality.

The real major difference between the two(if you're talking both hydros with floating decks) will be the controls: Exmark ECS versus Toro's T-Bar.

I like the ECS controls a lot, but I have not tried a T-Bar. I do want to demo one this spring.

Try both out if you can, and get the one you like better.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

From what I can see and gather, I pretty much have to say yes.

I think you are far better off buying from the best dealer, and getting the features that you prefer than you are to buy just a brand name. Understand what I mean?

I would tell you to narrow it to Gravely and Exmark, but as I understand it, things are changing on the Toro floaters for 2007. Rumor is you will be able to get the Turbo Force. If so, that would make "ME" narrow it to Toro and Gravely.

But it's just various features. Little different design here and there and whatnot. Buy what works best for you.... and INSIST on a good DEMO if you want to avoid mistakes.
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I never hear any buzz about Gravely and not too much about Toro WB's either actually. In a poll about the best Walk Behinds here, they didn't even mention toro or Gravely, not in the poll or in the thread responses.

The best dealer or at least what seems to be the biggest sells Toro and Gravely but there is an exmark dealer also, nice we site and I've heard some good things about.

I also want to see the new toro turboforce, in a couple months I'm sure lawnsite threads will be all over it.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Like Envy said, they really are very similar with the exception of the decks. Deck design can vary widely and what works on one yard may not work on the yard next door. The only real way to find out is to use the mowers but that can be difficult without buying them first.

If it were me I would buy the Toro. I've had both Exmark and Gravely walkbehinds and there were things about both mowers I didn't like. I really hated having to constantly (every 500 hours or so) replace the non greasable Exmark spindles. The guy I sold the mower to is changing them again for a total of 4 sets of spindles on one mower. Never again.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Turbo force with pistol gripes --- Exmark tryvanctage with the ECS. If cut is a BIG factor go with the turbo force. If the handles are a BIG factor then its exmark.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

And if speed or deck depth is a big factor---- Gravely :laugh:

(see what I mean... you have to try them yourself)
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you are going hydro go with the Ex-mark w/ ECS. If you want to save a little $$ go with the Toro with the T-bar. If you will be in tight places I would go hydro ECS, if you'll be in open area speed matters, I would go T-bar gear drive. the gear drive actually has a higher speed. I believe it is listed as 6.2 mph (about 10 km/h Canadian) but mine are a bit faster.
  9. John Gamba

from ct

10. John Gamba

from ct

It looks like toro did some work on there web site. I didnt see that many changes to the walks.