1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Controls...Pistol vs. Others

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

what are personal preferences on WB controls? i mean there are pistol, t-bar, t2 t-bar, semi-pistol, etc...my QUESTION is do other methods, considering i own a pistol grip, give you as much control? i know when my JD 48" hydro starts slipping on a hill i can put some weight on the handle bars and gain control, it just doesn't seem like you can do that with t-bars and other methods while it is still moving forward...

also, anyone know anything about the T-2 T-Bar? like it?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have one and love it...
  3. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have the T-Bar and Pistols. Both have there place in the business. I favor the pistols because it allows me to man handle the equipment when necessary. The T-Bar is smooth as silk when cutting a lawn with large paths and flowing flower beds.

I comes down to a matter of choice!

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

The T-2 Bar is really nice. The H-Bar is also a good control system. I however haven't ever used a pistol grip. Truth is, I started with a T-bar gear and the few times I tried a pistol grip, I hated it (hard on your hands, takes more time to learn how to run, etc). So I've always gone with something else.
    The H-Bar you can easily put pressure down on the wheels. T2-Bar is a little harder, but it can still be done.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You have to use your forearms with the T2, yes I would imagine its harder, but its all I have ever used. As far as easy of use I cannot imagine controls easier to use then the T2. And with as much as the 40" T2 weights I have yet to see a hill it wouldnt stick to
  6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

That is right, I think the T2 is the easiest control system to use.
  7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I started with pistol grips so I have gotten used to them but I have to say I tried a t2 t bar last year and I really liked it. I do like the pistols best when going across hills. They help maintain traction because you can shift your wait to the slipping wheel.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

i like the e.c.s. and also t-2 system.....but be sure to look into the new scag pro-v when its out.....by far the smoothest system on the market thus far
  9. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

same here. pistols are for cowboys

...seriously, back in my college days I started getting carpel tunnel probs using different pistol walkbehinds all the time. Do your body a favor and don't use 'em too much.
  10. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I love the ECS on my exmarks