Walk-behind controls...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 30, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Exmark "ECS", Toro "T-bar", Snapper "loop-handle", Hustler "twist grip", generic pistol grip. I might have forgotten some but you get the idea. What have you used? What do you like, dislike? What is the easiest on the hands?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

For me there is no doubt. Hustler all the way. It is so easy and natural. There is so little stress placed on the hands which could help in avoiding Carpal tunnel syndrome.
  3. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention the ones I have tried. They are as follows: Exmark, Toro, Huskie, Hustler, and Wright Stander.
  4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I have only used Toro but the way I am able to run it with my finger tips I can't imagine being without my T-bar
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Toro T bar, I own a 52 Torow/b belt drive. I own a 52 Lesco w Toro T bar my conversion, previously a 44 Toro and a 48
    Scag w a Toro T bar. It is safer on the Toro the blade stops, forward motion stops but engine runs when you let go of the handle. My 52 Lesco will back up. Works well in the rain.

With the T bar the speed is variable in all speeds depends on the tension on the drive belts. The only movement not possible
    is to power 1 wheel forward and 1 backwardsat the same time.

Toro owns the patent on the T bar. I built my T bar Scag 1989.

T bar Lesco 1997. Cost $250 for parts Ed
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I like and use the Hustler. I have a neuropathy in my (R) arm and it's much weaker than my left. If I had to use pistol grips I'd be out of the business.
  7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

For my opinion, LOOK below ;)
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pistol Grip SUCKS I love the snapper loop handle steering!:blob3:
  9. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have used Toro T-bar and pistol grips on a jd. And the t-bar wins hands down. I can control the t-bar one handed and it is very natural and easy.
  10. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I love the Great Dane Scamper controls. I tried the hustler walkbehind out but thought that the unit was too long. just my opinion.