Walk Behind Counter Weights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T. Wheeler, May 13, 2006.

1. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Does any one use counter weights for the front of there Walk Behinds to prevent them from popping up on hills? Also where can these be purchased? By the way its a Snapper 48" Pro-Hydro Walk Behind.

Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our 36" hydro WB Snapper has two weights on the front. It used to be something they had available, don't know about on new units.

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

This what I did, got a 35 dumbbell from walmart and cut it in half, made two brakcets to fit them in and bolted it on.

DVC00250.jpg

DVC00249.jpg

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My 32 Bob-Cat has them inside the front edge of the deck, I don't know about my 36. They're just 2 bars of steel bolted to the deck.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a link to the thread where I have a picture of what I used for a counter weight on my Gravely 36" walk-behind. I went to my local strap steel store and bought steel rod that was the diameter of the tubing on the frame of the mower. I have to shave a very small part of it off to get it to fit, but it's worked out great. I need a little more weight, though, but this really helped out. It cost me under $8 to do.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1247429&postcount=35

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I use one on my Toro 36 wb when I have a sulky on it. Otherwise I dont feel I need it.
    But, I bought mine at my dealer...under $30 I think.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, never.

On the newer one, they weighed the front down and made it heavier, I hate it... I really like how easily the old one pops a wheelie, you get used to it and learn to work with it, the deck needs to come off the ground easily on a fixed deck, I find it reduces scalping if you know when to pop it, and the easier it comes up, the more fun I can have, especially in the ditch.

Just get going gradually, I've learned to lean forward right before acceleration, then accelerate as I lean back again, then once done accelerating, I resume my normal position: Adjusting your body's weight with the mower helps, it's a bit like skiing.

Watch it on uphills, those are the only parts that frustrate me, but both the old mower and the new one lift up on this, it seems the heavier front doesn't help much here.

Fixed decks are the most awesome thing to curb-jump, they also make for the best sport and stunt mowers.
    And yes, grass-cutting IS a sport.