1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Cutting Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJR_63, Jul 31, 2007.

1. MJR_63

MJR_63 LawnSite Member

For a gear based walk behind what gear do you guys usually run (1 - 5). I have an 48" Exmark Metro and I find that if I run in 3rd gear with the side discharge open (no bagging) I'm not cutting all the grass. Some of the blades are not cut. My lawn is pretty thick and I cut it pretty frequently. 2nd gear seems to work fine. I'm running high lift blades and I keep the under side of my deck very clean (I use Fluid Film). Any suggestions?
  2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you sharpen your blades. We run a Lesco 52 hydro, with sharp blades, and we run on 5, with a velke, and it looks like carpet after we cut.
    And at this time of year, we run gator blades...
  3. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

I run in 5th too with a velke.

i go to 4th when the grass is growing alot and i have no problems
  4. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

I usually run in 4th, but yes I also think it's the blades, because my cut is clean!
  5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest trying different blades to see how that works for you
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

They say slanting the deck forward by about a 1/4 inch is good that way only the front tips are cutting and there is less drag on the blade. I've don't this (even though it looks like about half an inch to me) and it's working... not sure if it works better mind you.

Also when I had problems with uncut grass (got my first wb this year) it was because the DECK was too high and not creating any suction to make the grass stand up. But this was only, and continues to be a problem on grass that is very thin.

On thick grass this isn't a problem, clumps sometimes if it's really over grown but I mulch.

anyway, I lowered my deck and raised the blades.
  7. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I stay in third all day. No sulky, its the most comfortable gear i think when walking.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I don't even know what gear I use I just put it in 5 and walk but with the T bar it's like a Personal pace mower. It goes at YOUR speed.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got a t bar toro 44 and the highest I go is 3. If I had the t bar full forward in 5 I wouldnt be walking behind, Id be running. If you are in a higher gear with mine, it is only going at max speed for that gear if the t bar is full forward. In other words if someone is in 4 or 5, they arent necessarily going as fast as it can unless the t bar is full forward.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

3rd for me with my toro t bar