Walk Behind Ditch Digger

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Jeffc92, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

Hi, Help

Just rented a small walk behind ditch digger. Can't get it started. there's 2 slide valves or switches on right side (back of engine), not sure which is choke. Please help, it's getting dark

thanks

Jeff

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

One lever is probably choke, the other is probably throttle.

Make sure its choked, bring the throttle up, crank away.

What brand? If it doesn't start, don't pay for the rental.

Make sure the trenching drive isn't engaged, it probably has a kill switch on it that prevents starting.

3. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

Jon,

I know which one is the throttle, but there's 2 other switches. It's a honda. one has an "On" the other a "/" I'm guessing the "/" is choke, do I want "/" position when it's cold? The other must be just gas on/off. Thanks about the engage switch, I tried turning it over with that on once. Glad it didn't start

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Honda probably has an online manual for the engine.

5. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

thanks for your help. it's too late to use tonight now. it's hard to find any information like model numbers and stuff on the rentals . I should've just started earlier.

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

You should also have the rental store show you how to run any type of equipment if you are not familar with it. And every time I rent anything I always start it up and chevk everything out before pulling out of the parking lot.

7. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

yeah, I did but I think they assume people know more than they do. And maybe I think I know more than I do. Turns out it was just the on/off switch at the handle. I thought that switch was to engage the rotors/blades because the one time I pulled when I put it in the on position the digger acted like it was going to lurch forward. I had another problem with it due to poor communication from the rental guy plus loading that sucker into the back of my truck this afternoon I'm just about torn up. Thanks for your response.

Jeff

8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

The rental stores around here are pretty nice about things. I would just nicely tell them you had problems getting its started and you never got to use it. Maybe they will just refund you the money.