Walk behind drift when sulky is hooked up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derbyd137, Apr 23, 2011.

1. derbyd137

derbyd137 LawnSite Member

I just picked up a fairly new but used swivel wheel sulky. WHAT THE HELL???? I can't keep this thing running in a straight line to save my ass :(( Ive never had one of these before. I like riding but I can't keep er straight. Anyone have this problem? The machine is a 2001 Bobcat Hydro. It has independent controls for each wheel with a small amount of adjustment, I can't seem to dial it in. Let me know what you think I may be doing wrong. Or should I just get rid of this sulky and resort to walking :((

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure the mount for the sulky is centered maybe.

3. shadrach

shadrach LawnSite Member
    from indiana

A low tire on one side would make it drift - would be more noticeable riding than walking.

4. derbyd137

Ok, Thanks for the replys. I definately made sure the mount was centered. Great thought though. Thank you for that imput. Now, the tire preasure on the other hand I will definately have to check out. That's another good suggestion. Ok, out to the barn I go. Double check my centering and get the tire preasure correct. And go for a spin. Thanks for the great tips. Hope this works. I'll post results

Thanks
    http://www.straightlinelawn.com

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How big is your Bobcat mower, 36", 48", or ?

Your mower may be too small, too light to handle a swivel wheeled sulky. I have an Exmark 36" hydro Viking. I bought a BullRider convertible (either a trailer, or swivel caster). I started in the swivel mode, and I had exactly the same problem you describe. The footprint was too narrow.

I had tried a Proslide, and had to get rid of it -- same issue, mower is too light, too small footprint. It "drove" the mower, rather the other way around. The ProSlide and BR in swivel mode both responded the same way. Using the BR in trailer mode works well.

6. derbyd137

Yes the one I bought is very simular to the bull rider. I have a 48" Bobcat hydro with 14 horse Kawasaki. I got the air pressure correct the another guy suggested to no avail. I have to feather the **** out of the controls. Which of course wears out my hands. HHMM?? I dont know.

7. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Yeah man if you go to proslide or the bulldrider's (your sulky) site you will read that they are not designed for a mower that is smaller than 48" OR if It's not hydro. Your mower is probably just too small and so like one guy said the sulky is driving the mower rather than the other way around. Just put it in trailer mode (no swivel) or buy a regular old 2 wheel sulky that doesn't swivel and it will fix your problem.

I have a Toro Proline 48" Hydro that I use a regular 2 wheel sulky on and I can back it up, and operate it just like you would a ztr just fine. You just have to have some skill. Takes a little practice but the sulky will stay straight and should fix your problem.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I done said it many a times 2 wheel sulkies like to fishtail but folks don't want to listen.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I run the Bullrider behind by 48 inch Turf Tracer and love it but when traversing slopes it can be a little hard to keep straight. Because it's a solid connection to the machine, your weight influences the machine more than a trailering sulky. What I do is shift my weight to the uphill side a bit by putting my leg on top of the sulky frame and leaning my bent knee upslope...that and using the hydro controls to compensate.

Is yours hard to keep straight all of the time or just on slopes/uneven terrain?

10. derbyd137

Well, Ive never had one of these before. So, I say I GOTA GET ME A SULKY !! and RIDE. Fishtail eh? Ya I suppose. You talk about a crooked looking lawn !! I did some practicing on my neibors vacant lot. All said and done I don't think Ill be using this on my clients lawns. I may get fired

wavylawn.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011