1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

walk behind edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsteveharris, Jan 22, 2000.

1. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying a walk behind edger. I have a shindawa le230 but sometimes it just doesn't have the cutting power that I need. Has anyone used the Scag edger, it looks faitly simple in design so therefore there is not much to go wrong.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo does have a 31cc edger, but it probably isn't really any powerful more than that Shindiawa. <br>Does Tanaka still make their walk-behind edger? That's what we used before the stick edger. It was shaft drive and a really nice machine. 2 cycle 50cc I think.<br>

3. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

Yes, the TLE550 is still available. It's billed as the world's only 2 cycle edger (walk behind). I know of two places that have rock bottom prices on them. Email me if you are interested.<p>John

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We have tanaka blade edgers over here.Not real popular as the throttle assemblies<br>tend to fall apart.As for other two stroke<br>blade edgers we also have the Atom edger,<br>which is similar to the Tanaka and also<br>the Victa tilt-a-cut which is a 3 wheeled<br>blade edger with a 160cc 2 stroke.<br>I personally prefer the 4 stoke 3 wheel blade<br>edger as they seem to be more reliable.

5. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

The only thing I've ever heard of it was it was the best walkbehind edger on the market. Are you referring to a stick edger, or a walkbehind? Any other feedback would be appreciated.<p>John

6. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

$400.00 for what. I will use my echo or sthil <br>and shovel.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

A shovel generally isn't as productive as power equipment.

8. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I am referring to awheeled edger. I have a stick edger already. But I was doing a job the other day and it just wouldn't cut it. I had to go rent a 3 wheel edger with a 4hp honda, I think it was a kees model, but I really did not like the way it work, but it did get the job done quick.

9. Ground Effects

Ground Effects LawnSite Member

I've been using a Mclane for 3 years now and have'nt got one complaint about it. Not sure what model #,I pretty much just use it. About the only thing I can tell is that it has a 3 HP Briggs on the original oil/plug.<br> To be honest with you, it has turned into a scientific experiment for reliability.<br> NOW- if they can only make the blades last as long I'd be sold 100%

10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

With the experience I've had with Briggs, it would be wise to change the oil with each blade change. :)<br>