Walk behind edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bigfoot, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about getting a walk behind edger for my heavy edging. Any advice on brands & models would be appreciated. JD.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

do you mean a 3 wheel edger?

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't wantto mess w/belt & like shaft drive = Tanaka
    Belt drive scag or powertrim better than little wonder& Mclean IMHO

Bob

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I'm talking about a 3 or 4 wheel edger, not a stick edger. JD

5. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Look into a Power Trim with a Honda engine, a little pricy but well worth it. I have had my current one for about 7 years and except for the occasional recoil rope and pully it has held up very well.

6. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I've looked at the Tanaka and the Husqvarna. The Husq was about half the price and I couldn't see any appreciable difference in quality of construction.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having thoughts about a walkbehind myself. It seem doing the intial edging at a new location would be a bit easier. But I'm taking a hard look at Stihl's FC 85 stick edger. It has 2 wheels rather than just one and seems like a pretty good choice too. I have an FS85 trimmer I'm pretty happy with.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a MTD model, 3 or 3.5 hp Briggs, works good for me, It has the adjustable curb wheel. Probably will buy a stick edger also, it will be a cub comm. model.

9. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

The TANAKA TLE 550 is a superb walk behind edger.
    I believe that it has been manufacturer discontinued (something about emissions). They have plenty in stock to last a while though. These are not cheap ($ 600-750) but they do pay for themselves if you have a lot long sidewalks and garden edge cleanups (would be better using a stick edger on maintained garden edges as far as speed). The nice thing about this unit is the throttle control and height control is operated with fingertips. My only dislike is the debris shield will clog up when the ground is wet, but it is removable.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The McClane that is now available at Home Depot. For 3 something, you can't go wrong. This machine is built well and will give you alot of good edging. I still feel that a wheeled edger is the way to go. A stick edger is just way too much work for an initial or heavy edge. It gets to your triceps of whatever arm you're using to hold the loop handle down. At the same time, you can walk along with a wheele edger and hold onto it with one finger and thumb on each side if you want. It's funny how we get carried away with the novelty of some things. Oh, don't get me wrong, the stick edger does have it's applications, but for all practicle purposes, the wheeled edger is just easier to use.