Walk behind fert spreader owners.......Please read!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Oct 18, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a fert spreader to apply seed.

It's a hired piece of equipment and when I picked it up I asked the bloke........"What are all the calibration details?" and he said "duno"........... so I asked him if he had the owner manual and nup..............." So what are all these letters spose to mean to me mate?" ................Duno.

I'm freaken out man!!...............This HAS to be done tomorrow.

I need to know what to set the calibration to ?? (The dumb a#s at the hire place dosn't even know what MFG that spreader comes from.........No MFG stickers/markings:(

The spreader has an Alphabetical calibration set up B-Z.

The app rate for the seed is 2.2 pounds per 1076 square ft.
    (Bloody Imperial!!.............Took me a while to convert from metric)

Could somebody tell me what I'll need to set the calibration on the spreader to???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I use the SpeedyGreen( Scotts ) from Ace Hardware. About $20.00, and has lasted me 2 seasons already. Very easy to calibrate.

3. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Pinnacle,
    All spreaders are calibrated differently and grass seed comes in different sizes according to variety. You are going to have to eyeball it and adjust as you go. Spreading grass seed is not an exact science. Good luck. Make sure you write down the setting you finally use so you have it for next time.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of seed are you spreading, and is this on a bare ground - new lawn, or has existing grass under it?

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You can calibrate the machine for seed the same way you would calibrate it for fertilizer. Mark off an area, weigh the amount of seed you put in the spreader, spread the seed on the area, weigh the amount that is left in the spreader calculate the amount used per sq/ft. adjust accordingly.

6. pinnacle

Thanks all!!

This makes me fell a bit better.

Turf Medic.....I think I'll mark out the 1076sq/ft and just set the spreader so it's not letting out alot of seed and just keep going over it till the recomended amount is gone...............is that what ya saying?

Thanks again all.

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If you mark off an area of a couple of hundred square feet, spread the seed on that area, weigh the seed left in your spreader to see how much you have put down. Then adjust the spreader up or down as needed so it will spread the proper amount to finish up the job.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Pinnacle, I think you have the Idea........Find an aproximate sized area and do what you have just said,Go over it until the recommended amount is gone, keep track and adjust accordingly for the rest. Good luck.

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Alex,

I know your drama mate:)

They want ya money but can't show you how to opperate the machine, typical!

Mate I recently bought an Earthway spreader, I got the big "homeowners" one, hopper is bigger than the "commercial" ones and the same gearbox etc, VERY well built stuff!

I bought it through Bunnings so it was dearer than direct, $240 against $180, nylon bushings not cheap plastic, 3 discharge holes, very effective thrower, very tough, very smooth and accurate.

If you can't find a distributer in NSW let me know and I can give you the dealer's details who imports them, good folks, looked after me when I was farming.

Tony,
    Hervey Bay.

10. pinnacle

Well..........The seeds are TINY and the spreaders lowest output is too much........typical PITA.

So..............I had to spread by hand.

Think I did a good job considering......................Bit hard to tell though.

Turf Medic: Thanks again!

dvmcmrhp52: Yeh that was the plan mate..................But these things have to happen every now and again I spose..........and life goes on
    Thanks Mate!

Gidday Tony................Hope your well mate!

These hire places are a joke mate.............the guys that work in em are even more of a joke.

Earthway spreader ay?............Mmm........I'll go over to Bunnings in Lismore and have a look..................I put a deposit on a Shindiawa spreader a couple of weeks ago ($700, a little on the Xey side) but the dealer would be able to swap my deposit over to somthing else and for $180 that spreader sounds like the shot mate.
    Thanks for that Tone.......Ya just saved me $520..................God knows I need it at the moment..... Thanks :)

Well........as ya say mate, its coldie'o'clock down here and I'm rat sh#t and ready for a hot shower.

Still got some querys to Email ya soon.

Have a good one Tony!!

Alex
    Bangalow