Walk Behind: Floating vs Fixed Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jan 26, 2008.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've pretty well decided to purchase a new walk-behind this spring, probably with a 36 inch deck, which will fit through most of the gates in this area, but still cover a lot more ground than a 21.

It looks as if my choice will be a Toro, as they are available at my local dealership. I noticed on the Toro website that they are now offering floating decks, and was wondering what the advantages would be, if any, on a WB. Thanks.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Easy Height Adjustment,less Scalping.
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that. A fixed deck will also be cheaper than a floating deck. I doubt that you will see a huge antiscalping advantage on the fixed vs. floating on a 36" mower. That being said, you can scalp with anything- even a 21" pushmower. I'm just saying that a floating deck on a WB is not a true floater like the type that is on a ZTR. On the WB they usually slide up and down on a shaft or rod where as a ZTR has chains supporting the deck. I don't think this is a true floater because it has a very small area that it will rise up and down on before it wedges itself and will not move anymore.
  4. John Gamba

from ct

Alot less weight on the front tires on the walk then on a rider.
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Toro does NOT offer a fixed deck hydro 36 with the T-Bar controls...you'll have to go with pistol grips.

If you want a belt/gear driven machine, then you can get either a fixed or floating deck.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have 32,36,48 and a 52. The bigger you go, the easier it is to scalp AND the edges of the deck will dig in and throw you on uneven terrain.
    Get a floating deck whenever you can. Tony
  7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, you are right! I totally missed that when browsing their site. Thanks. Guess that makes a floating deck a no-brainer, as I don't want pistol grips. My local dealer doesn't stock any WB's. They just don't sell well in this area, but, can, of course, order anything, so I'm making my decisions based on information gleaned here and from the Toro website.

Thanks to all of you for replying. Looks like a floating deck 36, T-bar controls, 17 horse electric start Kawasaki with the Tru-trac sulky is what I'm wanting. Gee, I wonder how many $$$$$$$$ they are going to want for one of those!:)
  8. John Gamba

from ct

Mo try and demo the t bar on a hydro on hills.Also try and demo the True trac sulky,i would demo before putting 500 bucks down on a sulky.
  9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Float Decks are very expensive. However, the reason I purchased one is that some of my lawns are very, very small and they are Bahia. With my fixed deck mower, I am unable to get a good cut because it is set for St. Augustine. With the float deck it is set just right for Bahia giving the customer a beautiful cut every time. Plus, it allows me to set up for St. Augustine when needed.