Walk Behind Ground Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious/bored. How many of you go full ground speed with your walk behinds? Obviously some situations you couldn't go full speed if you wanted to. What percentage of the time do you go full speed? Do you wish that you walk behind would go faster?

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

with the ground here so uneven, I can only go in third gear. I don't have a yard flat enough to go full speed.

3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I almost always cut in 3rd gear with my Toro WB. If I get in tight places, like next to a house or fence, I will drop down into 2nd gear. When I have to double cut during the spring months, I will usually mow in 4th if I'm in good, wide open spaces. I have never used 5th gear to mow.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

90% of the time I'm going full speed. the only time I slow down, is when I'm doing my opening pass, or trimming by a flower bed :rolleyes: btw, my walkbehind goes 6mph.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My Bob-Cat has the smaller tires and when I walk I use 3rd gear. I only use 4th gear when I have the Jungle Wheels attached. 5th gear is for transport. I have used 5th before but, the machine bounces over rough ground and it loosens stuff up when I go that fast over rough ground. I'm happy with my current speed.

6. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I run my Exmark 48" TTHP in sixth gear all of the time. The handle controls allows me to slow the mower down when required but by using sixth gives me a wide range of speeds without having to mess with the shifter again. The Exmark is built like a tank. Hydro, the only way to go!

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

In sixth gear all time? I have a hard time doing so, mostly in the 4 1/2 -5 speed range. When it bounces a lot, your cut is not that of quality you desire. I run 52" TTHP by the way. Mostly the 4 1/2 is the most comfortable for me both quality and speed.

8. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I always go full speed. Even up and down hills becouse time = money. I have a Toro 52" hydro and it has not affected it at all.

9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

4th gear takes me to a fast-paced walk, actually almost to a jog. I'll use 3rd or 4th depending on the area. 2nd in tight spaces. I'll use 5th with the rpm's down when moving the mower without cutting any grass.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Usually full speed on our Ferris DD hydros, think it's like 6 or 6.5 mph.