1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Horsepower? 36' or 48"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kona, Feb 5, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am buying my first EXMARK (gear drive) walk behind mower & can't decide on which Kawasaki engine to get!!
    - On the 36" fixed METRO walk behind (gear Drive)is 12.5 kawasaki enough? or is 15 hp necessary and why?
    - On the 48" fixed is 15 enough or 17hp?
    - Do you need more Horsepower when running a 36" or 48"floating deck vs. 36" or 48"fixed

THANKS for all your help!!!!!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The answers to your questions really depend upon what you are going to do with the clippings (i.e. - mulch or side-discharge) and how fast you want to cut the grass. Years ago, people cut grass with a lot less horsepower, and they did just fine. They just cut the grass a lot slower than we can today.

On the 36" and 48", the 12.5-hp and the 15-hp Kaw.'s are enough power to cut the grass without any problems. You can even mulch with both engine and deck configurations. The main difference between the 12.5-hp and the 15-hp on the 36" and the 15-hp and 17-hp on the 48" is the speed at which you will be able to mulch the grass. With the higher horsepower models, you may be able to go a little faster, and you may find that the engine bogs down less. How much of a difference you will see depends a lot upon the type of grass you are cutting and how much grass you are cutting off.

If you are going to mulch and pull a sulky behind your Metro, I would recommend going with the higher horsepower model for the 36". The 15-hp on the 48" is adequate, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little more hp.

To answer your final question, no, you do not need more horsepower when running a floating deck unit. 'Scapers almost always want more horsepower, so we try to accommodate them. If you have any other questions, either e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com or call 402/223-6212.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Support