walk behind hydro

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottishmaximus, Oct 26, 2005.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

My walk behind hydros are acting up. When it's cold, one wheel is slower than the other. When i back it off the trailer first thing in the morning, that wheel almost acts like there is no resistance and rolls faster. Once it warms up it's fine. I think i may have air in the system. How can I check this?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Most all hydros act funny when it's cold as for air, gravity should drive the air out of the lines.
  3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I only mention it because it never acted like this before. I have had it for a few years.
  4. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

I had the same type of problem. I thought i had a hydro bad, but that was not the case. I first checked all the fittings, oil level, and even the belt tension. Everything looked okay, but still acted up. Finally the other day i said i have got to fix this so i looked closer at the belt and pulleys. Well what i found was definitely the problem. Beside the belt showing lots of wear and a couple of chunks missing, the idler pulley was worn out and had a couple of groves to it. I think the belt was just slipping and wearing it out. Replaced the belt and idler pulley and works like new. May or may not be the problem, but something to look into further.

Good luck