1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walk behind leaf blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Jun 16, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I know its early but I have to work for it I whana buy a bigger than the 5 HP leafblower in the fall are what do you run I have e a lot of leaves and many yard 1 acre + on 2 of the yard with huge 100 y/o maples and oaks what do you pros run and how much so I can work for it thanks :confused: im all set with back packs br 400 i could get another for geting all A's on the report card so whats a good bigboy back pack.
  2. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i have the 5hp giant vac and i'm going to try 8hp-10hp come early fall because my dealer says what takes him 8hrs with eb630 shin and he can do in 2hrs with 8-10hp giant vac. Go with giant vac good stuff and built like a brick outhouse.
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ok well what engines should i get i have heard that the brigs and strat dont hold up on blowers but it has held up well on my blowre should i get a honda or anyother brands out there that will hold up
  4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about the blowers because we don't do much leaf work down here. I can tell you that if I was going to buy one I would get the Honda engine. I have run Honda 21" mowers since I started and have yet to kill one.
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Fradan 14 hp blower which will move rows of leaves 4 foot high. If you need to move a large amount of leaves quickly you will need one the 14/16 hp machines out there. I also have the Billy goat 10hp machine for fine cleaning. If you have smaller houses to do and/or clean around houses and shrubs, the "Billygoat" 10hp blower with hand operated lever directional shoot, is terrific for putting the air exactly where you want. It's like a 10hp backpack blower and is well under $1,000.
  6. JimB

JimB LawnSite Member

Ok, you want to know what the pro's use, it's not gonna be cheap but if wanna do it right, here's what I use...

Walk behind blower --- Little wonder with front swivel kit and 13 hp Honda engine, second to none it's the best...

Backpak --- Redmax I forgot the model number but it's their top of the line machine, just awesome...

Ok, class is over now go out and show those leaves who's boss !!!

7. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Ditto to what JimB said.

Whatever you do buy, make sure the front tire is pneumatic, rather than a skinny, hard rubber one. That way you won't leave ruts on the (often wet, that time of year) grass. Also, you can probably guess what a skinny, hard tire on a heavy, wheeled piece of machinery feels like when it slams into one of your maple's surface roots.:dizzy:
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 9 hp Little Wonder with the honda motor. The thing could blow down a house. I used to be a big giant vac fan, but i definately am partial to little wonder now. The honda motor is a little more expensive, but i think its worth it. My dealers also said that the new briggs intek motor is really good, and there have been little problems with it. Since your in my marketing area, ill just let you know i paid right around $1,000 for my little wonder with the honda 9 hp if you are shopping around.
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Got myself a 10hp Little Wonder blower this spring.
    LOVE the thing... Cant wait till fall leaves. Hopefully I'll be cought up by then. :dizzy:

Little Wonder is deffinatly the best. I payed $800 something for mine. I would have gotten the larger one but the 10hp is hard enough to push arround all day.

Check out the dealers & shop arround. Prices in my area went from $1000 down to what I paid. Big diffrence for the exact same thing.
  10. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

How do you guys charge, for removing leaves?