Walk behind loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treemover, Dec 19, 2012.

1. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Any body running them? how do you like them? thinking of adding one or maybe a 7-8k track loader. Have a bobcat mt 50 located for 4k with 1200 hours. Tired of hauling around a 12000 lb machine all of the time.

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

We run an MT52, it is a great machine. We have the trencher and tiller attachments.
    I heard that the MT50's have problems? I have never ran one but thats what i heard. You should do more research on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

The bobcats do require their own mounting plate and attachments as far as I know, which can be a downfall when renting attachments. The 52 is definitely a refined version of the 50, it had issues like all machines do

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We purchased a Vermeer 600 tx diesel about 6 months ago and have used it quite a bit now. We like it because it is compact, powerful and we throw it on our single axle 5*10 trailer.
    They are a good investment in my opinion
    Good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

You may also want to look at a Terex PT30. It's a little wider than most walk behinds (48"), but offers characteristics similar to a track loader. I've used both Bobcats, Dingos and a PT30 and unless you really need a width narrow than 48" or have issues with getting in and out of a cab, the PT30 outworked the walk behinds- traction, speed, ground clearance, lift height, flotation, bucket breakout, and it has a heated enclosed cab for cold or wet weather ( a big plus here in WI considering we're in blizzard conditions here right now!).

6. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

I utilized my ramrod in many situations that a pt30 wouldn't fit. If you plan on using it in between gates, for sod installs and such get a walk behind unit or stand on. It sounds like you have more skid steer style work though. A pt30 still weighs over 3k pounds, so you can't put it on a single axle like you could an mt52. The work you're doing with it will determine your route

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, if width and getting in and out of a machine are problems than a walk behind is a better choice. Towing 3,300lbs around these days isn't that difficult though. My fiancé's Honda Ridgeline can do that easily.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The MT52's are a ton of fun to run. I get the chance to use one with a client and it amazes me what it can do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

They are real money makers if you have the work for them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting the smaller size since we already run large track loaders. I could not find to much bad about the 50, tracks come off a little easy, maintenance items are hard to access. Anybody run into any major problems?