1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walk behind mower best

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ladylawncare, Sep 22, 2003.

1. ladylawncare

ladylawncare LawnSite Member

looking to purchase a toro 32-36'; walk behind compare to a similar lesco supposed better cut ? like a rider but gates?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

A little too much brevity there ladylawncare. If I were a woman I would opt for an exmark turf tracer hp 36" with a velke. I like this over a belt drive for a woman due to the ease of operation a hydro unit provides, especially when backing up. Some pretty strong guys would have trouble pulling a belt drive out of a nose down position. Its not easy even on a moderate grade, I KNOW.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a strong addvocate of toro, dont really know why. Because i have a 32 belt drive walk behind that has been very good to me for several years now, almost 8 to be exact. Anyway, Toro has recenty come out with a 36inch hydro ZTR. You may want to check into this, it sounds like it may be just what your looking for.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

eXmark 36" belt, fixed deck $2000.00 or so

eXmark 36" Hydro floating deck ECS $4200.00 or so(Turf tracer TTHP )

Both top quality mowers, of course, get the hydro if you can.

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Since you guys are talking prices :) Whats a 32" fixed deck belt drive cost compared to a 32" fixed deck hydro , Exmark.
    My 48 dont fit in alot of back yards.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

enough said, but I rarely see a girl on WB... you should demo before you buy cause WB can be very exhausting if used as primary everyday. you know it will be harder on your body than the Z do in term of control system.
  7. WBs make ur wrists hurt like all get out. I adjusted my clutches last night so mb now it will b easier. I would defidently get a ZTR, and if not that, a Hydro. My Scag has all most gotten away from me a couple times. (like others said, u have to manhandle them to back up)
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hydro walk behinds are MUCH easier on your hands, wrists and entire body. No manhandling they do all the work for you. But they are still fatiguing, just not as much as a belt drive in my experience.
    Some ergonomic systems that are out there that you might want to check out:
    Hustler H-bar on hydro walk behinds (I like it)
    Toro T-bar, available on either belt or hydros, i've used it on belt and think i could get used to it easily.
    eXmark ECS, never used.
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Get a Toro 36" Hydro w/ T-BAR and a BullRider sulky. The combination of hydro, t-bar, and sulky make this machine simple for anyone to operate. Just push the bar forward to go forward, pull it back to reverse. This setup costs about $4300 and is well worth it. The 36" width will allow you to slip thru most gates with no problems at all.
  10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Exmark ECS is effortless.