1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Mower Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TheBrain, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TheBrain

TheBrain LawnSite Member

I have a 1 acre lot, flat, open, very few obstacles to mow. Have been splitting between push mower (22" Murray) for the front and perimeter of the house and 42" rider for the back yard. Both mowers are past their good use point and I need to replace them. My question is how long does it take mow using a 33" self propelled walk behind? The area that I currently push mow, about half of the property, takes about 1.5 to 2 hours depending. Will the 33" self propelled do the job and if so, how long will it take?
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

With the lawn you describe why wouldn't you want something larger, say a 48 or 52 belt wb?

Anyway, approximate acres per hour = (deck width in inches x ground speed in mph) divided by 125

Z is the ideal best but since you are considering a 33 wb, a 48 or 52 belt wb used unit would be fairly economical to purchase also.
  3. TheBrain

TheBrain LawnSite Member

I like the way the smaller width mower cuts. Does the wider mower cut just as smooth? I have been looking at the classifieds for a nice used WB. No luck yet.
  4. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Get a 48" WB with a sulky. As long as conditions are as you say, cut quality will not be an issue. Should be able to find a good used one for 1500-2500.
  5. God'sGreenEarth

God'sGreenEarth LawnSite Member

I'm was in a very similar situation...little over 1 acre flat lot with no obstacles and just replaced a 44" residential rider with a used 60" Exmark walk behind. I was looking for a 48" walk behind and stumbled upon the 60". No regrets, it leaves a smooth, even cut and leaves nice wide stripes that fit the size of the yard well. About 50 minutes to cut at walking speed (4 mph) and I'm still getting the hang of it...sulky coming soon which should allow me to run at 6 mph. It was taking me 1 hr 40 min with the 44" tractor.

Search Ebay and Craigslist. Used walk-behinds were plentiful on those sites when I was searching in February. Found mine on Craigslist for $2,250.
  6. TheBrain

TheBrain LawnSite Member

After searching several posts the Cub Cadet 33" WB seems to be getting a lot of good marks. Any other opinions on this mower? Again, this is strickly for residential use.
  7. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Its good for residential use, but not heavy residential use.
    It's the same machine as the Troy-Bilt 33" cut mower, just a different color.

All the ones I've worked on had handles that were broken or breaking where the handles connect to the frame.
  8. TheBrain

TheBrain LawnSite Member

What do you consider heavy residential use? I will be using to mow my 1 acre lot, usually once per week maximum.
  9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Those 33'' mowers you are referring to, (I believe you are referencing the ones they sell at Home Depot) are not commercial units. A one acre property is a decent sized piece of land, and at one mowing per week, it will be a good test for it. It will be fine for a while (while its still new) but a different brand like scag, gravely, toro etc commercial will stand the test of time.