Walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mcmillanlawncare, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mcmillanlawncare

mcmillanlawncare LawnSite Member

i want to get a good reliable walk behind mower any one have any suggestions? i looking for a used one or new not sure what brand to get
    any suggestions will be gladly appreciated and

any one have 2 walk behind on an open trailer what size is good and give you a little extra room.. trailer wise!?!?

2. HiTECH

HiTECH LawnSite Member

Take a look at Ferris walk behinds, they are built better than every other walk behind on the market. For a trailer i have a 16' open trailer that i can fit 2 ferris walk behinds and a toro ztr on.
  3. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial Mowers.

I think all commercial mowers are pretty good so I wont just say get this or get that. What I would recommend you do is shop around for a dealer in your area that will give you the best support. This makes all the difference. Reason being, if you buy the best mower on the block and it needs repairs (and it will need repairs) you need a dealer that will give you a loaner while you equipment is down, has most parts in stock, ability to repair on site, moves you to the front of the repair line if you purchase from that dealer etc. These are just a few of the many perks that can be given by a dealer that makes all the difference in the world. If you don't have that kind of support it wont matter what type of mower you have, your down time will take more money out of you pocket then you can imagine.

I also have two walk behinds on a 6.5X12 trailer and I have plenty of room to work with. I will most likely have to get a 14ft when I get deep into fert and squirt, but right now it is doing just fine.

Hope this helps
    Corrie A. :)
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Cub cadet commercial mowers are good working machines
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Specifics... give me more details. This is just like the "what brand of zero-turn mowers is best" or "what brand of backpack blower is the best". Give me more details and I will help you.
  6. mcmillanlawncare

mcmillanlawncare LawnSite Member

7. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i agree with corrie...get something from a dealer near you. i have scag gear and love it...but if exmark had a dealer near my home instead of scag, I'd get exmark. just get a top brand and make sure you have dealer support nearby. most of the brands are comparable, scag, exmark, etc., in durability and cost from my experience. having dealer support when something breaks will make a lot of difference. -Ben
  8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha I thought you were talking John's Hot tub. :hammerhead: :dizzy:

Now theres a difference between a 32" Lesco and a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer. What size do you need? If you don't know, you need to figure that out first before you worry about anything else. Next consider what is being sold around you. Is it going to be used commercially or residential? What dealer do you feel you should do business with... and so much more. Get specific and you will get more help. Or TRY to be a smart arse and get no help.
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If you get a belt drive, demo the Toro T-bar. The best control system on a belt drive hands down. Demo one. I have a 6 X 10 trailer for residentials, I fit 2 36" T-bars and 2 21s. For hydro I like the Hustler with the H-bar.
  10. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Have you looked at Better products for a walk behind?? They are who i purchased mine from. They are a great company and a great product. Their customer service is great before during and after the sell. Look at their family album on their site. They have a picture of their machine in the back of a ford ranger. Check it out. Have you looked on e-bay for commerical zero turn??? They have some good deals.

When it comes to help, everybody in this forum is great. I have learned so much from them. Randy