walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Apr 26, 2004.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible to get a descent walk behind mower for under 1000 dollars, also can i get started just using a push mower on small lawns. Should i go with Scag or toro.

Touhey's prime cuts lawn care service

2. 94chevytruck

94chevytruck LawnSite Member

a small push mower is a great way to get started! about 7 years ago i started mowing with a push and gradually worked my way up to the 36" ex mark metro i have now! In commercial mowing, you get a lot of mower when you buy one. They are not cheap. you will not find a new WB for under $1000. you can however find a good used one! for right around $1000. As far as brand no one can tell you which one to go with, it is personal preference. For me Exmark is the best! Scag is also another good company. I have no experiance with Toro. good luck!

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

touhey33,

start out with a 21" mower. that way, when you do move up to a big walkbehind, you'll appreciate it even more... don't know what i'd do if i still had to use a 21incher.... as far as your question. i've seen 36" exmarks for 1100 before... don't know if it was decent or not... my suggestion is to move up to 2 grand and get you a new one... my 02 cents..

lawnwizards.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to disagree somewhat. Plenty of nice condition used belt drive walk behinds in the 32"-36" range. And I mean nearly new condition, not ragged out. Check ebay. Much more versatile and productive on anything above postage stamp size. Besides being 50% or more wider, they're also faster and you can sulky behind one.

5. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Also consider buying a dealer demo or a machine that was used as a rental. Even though they have lots of time on them, they are can be had for less money than a brand new machine. Some can even be found with low hours. Its worth a try, and brucec32 is right about ebay. I reccomend Bob-Cat walk behinds any day of the week. Happy hunting!

-Rich