walk behind mowers for someone over 40

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by santafe, Nov 29, 2009.

1. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

those of you that are over 40, back hurts once in a while, knees hurt on occasion, and belly sticks out a little further than you want it to, would you run a walk behind for anything besides a steeper slope.

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you are buying a new machine, go with a stand on. It will hold a slope and go as fast as it can. Not as fast as you can,.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

If using it a lot (not just spots here and there where a ZTR won't do) I would also try a stand on. If mowing northern turf of something like St. Augustine that is green throughout the plant, I would in particular take a hard look at the Grandstand by Toro and the Vantage version by Exmark that will be out in the spring. They have the ability to go into walk mode if needed for really soft or wet turf, while I think the stable platform would be easier on the bod than a sulky.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be 41 next week, and I don't think my belly sticks out any more than it did at 20. But when I hit 39 the aches and pains sure did start. I use to use primarily ztrs and my back and hips would hurt (still do when using a ztr) but about a year ago went to a Ferris 61" walkbehind with a proslide as my main mower. My back and hips are better but after 10 to 12 hrs a day of the proslide and trimming and blowing my feet start to hurt. I am considering demoing some standers next spring. Don't think they will help with the feet other than I might get done a little sooner.

5. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

start walkin and maybe that belly wont stick out so far! :laugh:

6. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

7. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

yeah! thanks ! you are probably right. again you all make me laugh. I could start doing more push aways. push away from the table.

8. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

I kept my cost down this year with a Toro Proline WB. It got me in shape quickly. Once my customer base grew, I added a Velke so I could ride and reduce the time I was spending at each customer. My operating cost were within line of my Business Plan and I lost 38 pounds this year. Turned out it was a Win Win for me.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Does that mean someone over forty should use it?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe if your belly sticks out you really should use a WALK behind
    that or get yourself one of them sit down jobs.

That's right, 40 years old or 20 years old, same thing.
    Maybe not but I say if you can't take the exercise then don't apply for this job lol

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009