Walk Behind Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braveheart, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have to mow slopes around 5 lakes in the new community I have. Each lake has a slope around it that varies from 5 to 25 degrees. My Exmark is only rated to handle 15 degrees and I don't want to push my luck.

I have only found a few riding mowers (Hustler ATZ) that can handle this but they are very expensive, so I was thinking of getting one of those walk behinds that have the attachment that you can stand on when you are not pushing it. I need at least a 48" but there seems to be a very big difference in pricing!!! Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

2. Braveheart

Also, do walk-behinds last as long as riding mowers?

3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" WB Snapper belt drive. I would be lost without it! It does very well on slopes, but I've heard the hydo is much better

4. Braveheart

I'll check it out, thanks!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At least as long, 10-15 years on average, some guys trade them in after 5-8 ...

Now you might have to swap an engine or replace a transmission in that time but...

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

A WB is lighter than a rider and since you are walking behind it you will be safer. Sulkies are nice but doing the slopes I would just walk it -hey I'm 35 and still wear a 32" waist:clapping:

Ah, get the Hydro, you'll have more control. I have a 48", big enough to do the job, light on the scalping. Make sure your engine is 17HP+ and you'll have no probs.

Benifits: Lighter, cheeper and you can get under branches easy.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

A WB will do a great job for you. I would either get a hydro or a Toro T-bar (if you want to go the belt route). We have had very good luck with belt driven T-bars w/ sulkies (the thing you stand on) It greatly reduces operator fatige and we are able to mow at a jogging pace, 25% grade no problem.

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

If I were you, I'd buy a hydro Snapper or Gravely. My boss has a Gravely and that worked great on a hill that we had to mow that was fairly steep. I own a Snapper hydro 48 and I love it. It's alright on hills, as it has a manual adjustment track lever on it. With the lever you can change how much drive goes to one wheel and can put more on one than the other. Mine's a little screwed up, so it doesn't work the best on hills, but if it was new, it would be even better. Plus I only paid 1100 for mine. Walk behinds are the way to go on hills, because if it flips or slides, 1. you're not sitting on top of it, so that if it does flip, it doesn't land on you 2. you stay in shape! Good luck!

9. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

defenitley get a wb they are much much safer and no i would not use a sulky on a slope like that. check some of exmarks walkbehinds you might like the ecs. its much easier on your wrists

10. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have snapper hydro 48' WB. Do very well on slopes, grades, hills etc.
    The ones we have come with a up hill lever which you can shove side to side what ever way you want power to the uphill side tire run great. If you want I can get a model number for you. They are eight and nine years old have Kals
    on them and run like the new ones.