Walk-Behind mowers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BotetourtBoy3, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

I am a homeonwer who is looking for a very cheap walk-behind mower, any ideas?($1,000 or under maybe?) Also What kind of hills can walk-behinds go on?

2. sdelorey494103

sdelorey494103 LawnSite Member
    from Capecod

I would go with a small hdro/belt driven scag 36" walk behind...$2999

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Good luck with that!:laugh: Ya get what ya pay for. As far as hills, w/b's can handle some pretty steep hills but IMO, you need to have some experience in doing so. There's more to running one of these things besides walking behind it. What size you are looking for? That will weigh heavily on your spending limit. Welcome to our world...its just grass right?

4. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

under a thousand?? you better look for a used machine. There is a ton of great commercial machines first you need to acess your needs (deck size,hp needed,obviously something good on hills) I would go with a good used toro or bobcat...but again there are a lot of great machines out there.

5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

You're doing exactly what I would do if I knew what I know, even if I wasn't already in this business. You can buy a used commercial walk-behind for about the same price as a new piece of crap 21" homeowner mower.

Measure your back gate so you know how wide a mower you can get.

If you have a decent mechanical aptitude, I'd buy a used belt-driven Bob-Cat or Exmark. I'd look on eBay for a local deal. You'll find one for under $1,000.