1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chisolm Trail Landscape, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Chisolm Trail Landscape LawnSite Member

Could use a little help here! My wife and I are starting our own landscape design/year maintenance company. We are going to school for the landscape design portion of this, but want to start the maintenance portion NOW before we get our landscape contractor licenses.

We currently have echo trimmer, edgers and blowers!

We need some input on a nice walk behind mower! I have read that a 36" would be a great mower to use since it will fit through almost all gates! We do live in the foothills, so hills will be a factor and will need some advice on what will work best for these hills. Walk behind is just fine for us right now since we are just getting started. We both have accounting backgrounds and know how to budget and run the business part. Thanks so much for any input you could give us!
  2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

If you got hills then get the hydro. If the ground is uneven then get the floating deck. A sulky would speed things up too. Good luck, LCME
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LESCO makes good, solid WB mowing units that aren't too expensive.

a 36 in leso belt unit would do you just fine to start out with for about $2000.

or for about $1200 more you could get a hydro drive.

they say the BETTER-QUICK 36 (see banner at top of page) is a nice unit but I have never seen one.

good luck and welcome to LAWNSITE.

4. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Thanks for the input here so far!! Would love more input from others to get the best range of products and comparisons we can.
  5. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

the turf tracer hp is a awsome walkbehind 36 floating deck hydro drive its made by exmark
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We love the Exmark - for too many reasons to mention - namely cut quality and dependability. First thing is evaluate how much need you have to have to get through a small gate, because if there isn't that much call for it (most gates are larger for those properties that evn HAVE gates), you will be MUCH farther ahead with a larger deck - atleast a 48" minimum. This extra width adds up FAST in a day's work, let ALONE during the life you own the mower. If you are able to go with a larger deck, DO IT.
    I DO want to say, that a wb for your first machine is an EXCELLENT choice because of its versatility. You can do things with a wb that you wouldn't even THINK of doing with a rider such as working certain hillsides, dropping it down into ditches, etc.
    Just shop around for dealer support around you, since this is so important for so many people.
    You have definitely hit a jackpot of information here, and this site can be one of your most important tools in building a business. There is just so much to learn.
    Also, the fact that you and your wife together are getting into this, I think is just awesome. I wish you all the luck in the world, and if there is anything I (or any of us) can do to help, don't even HESITATE to ask - no matter how "simple" the question may seem. Happy shopping, and enjoy your experience!
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to LS, and congrats on the start up!! What dealers and brands are currently available near you? That will be a big determing factor in which brand to consider for purchase.
  8. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Thanks for all the input! Thanks so much for all the upfront help Runner. We don't really have the cashflow right now for one of these mowers, but we are thinking about doing a home equity line of credit to get the business off the ground. Any input on this?? We want this to work no matter what we need to do. We will be starting the landscape classes Jan 4th. We do have a dealer right down the road that sells Exmark.

Thanks again for everything!
    Jeff & Faith
  9. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What area will you be operating in? The demographics for Canton aren't that good but the surrounding area (Cherokee County) looks much better. There is always the option of working a little closer to Atlanta too.

I would think long and hard before putting your house up for collateral. That ballon at the end of some HELOCs can be rough. You can always get a personal loan or finance equipment through one of the companies that do this. And then there is the option of getting a job "working for the man" and starting your business as part time.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just giving you some further information.

Somebody once said "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"