Walk Behind Mulch Cart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clean_cut, Feb 7, 2010.

1. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been playing around with the idea of adding a "mulch cart" to the front of the walk behind. I was either thinking of mounting a thick tub/container on top of the deck or making a cart to carry the tub in front of the deck.

If the tub is on top of the deck....

It will be easier to rig up
    Cheaper
    It will be easier to turn
    There will be more strain on the mower (by holding the weight rather than pushing it) Am I correct?

If the tub is mounted in front of the deck....

It will be harder to mount
    More Expensive
    It will be harder to maneuver
    There will be less strain on the mower (pushing the weight rather than carrying) Am I correct?

So do you think this is a good idea? Is it going to put too much strain on the mower deck or hydros to carry up to 100 lbs. or more of mulch, gravel, dirt, etc.?

Just wanted to know some opinions, and if you have ANY pictures, or info it would be great!:)

I threw on some pictures of my own for the fun of it :laugh:

Mower Basket Frong.jpg

Mower Basket Top.jpg

2. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I think its a decent idea.....We used to just stack it on top of the deck and just be careful not to put it too close to the hot engine parts

3. N.TX

from TEXAS

Well I was talking about bags of mulch and im assuming you may be using loose mulch so i guess that wouldnt work so the bucket would be good.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

5. clean_cut

That's a good idea, but I don't want it to be too permanent, maybe I'll use come clamps instead of bolting it on.

Do you guys think this will have any negative effect on the mower such as wear on hydros, or the deck or front casters, etc.?

6. N.TX

from TEXAS

I doubt it as long as your easy on it. As far as making it easy to take off you could weld a couple of pieces that would have the small pins that go through them so you could quickly take them on and off.

7. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

The only part of the Jrco that is fixed is the mounting bar that goes between the caster wheels the rest hooks on with pins. I have been using one for about 8 years. It's always on the truck.

8. clean_cut

BUMP

So it shouldn't be harmful to the mower? Thats Good