walk behind mulch kits

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ferris hilton, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a mulching kit for their walkbehinds, or have they made up their own, and if so how? Ours shoots out the side and no matter how many times I tell my guys to keep the clippings away from gardens they still end up getting clippings in them. Either I need to get or build a mulching kit or get new employees(haha).

Thanks

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I keep one on my 48" Turf Tracer year round. It is the one from Exmark. I don't know if I would atempt to build one myself. If you are talking about an OCDC, then there are a lot of guys that have made their own or you can buy one. What mower are you talking about?

3. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

it's a ferris 48" walk behind. What's an OCDC?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag sells a simple plate that bolts on the exit for mulching, I would guess other manufactures might?

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

An OCDC is an Operator Controlled Discharge Chute. It is a plate that covers the discharge chute so that the clippings do not blow straight out from the mower. The clippings go to the plate and then go straight down. This plate is controlled by a handle, rods, and swivel joints. The handle is close to the operator so that he can open or close it on the fly. You can do a search for OCDC on here and come up with a ton of pictures and posts. I've never used one before but the only drawback to them that I can see is that it will winrow the clipping in a line and then you have to go back and blow them the other way. Not really a big deal at all.