Walk Behind opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hboyd_com, Feb 27, 2003.

1. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

First - Thanks to all the responses to my question about Echo Trimmers.

I'm new to the board and in the market for some equipment to take care of a 3 acre property that I am buying in 3 weeks. I'd like to get a small Kubota however the finances will not allow it. I was thinking about getting a walk behind for a year or so until I can afford or find what a rider. The property is 1 acre of lawn with lots of landscaping and 2 acres of woods that I would eventually like to clean up (but not clear) and keep it cleaned up so that you can walk the property. There is a Cub Cadet walk behind in the paper for $1600. It is either a 1995 or 1996 model, I believe it is 17 HP although it might be 15 HP ( I wish I had the paper with me!) it has a 48" full floating deck and it is listed as Hydro. There are approx. 850 hours on it.

So my question is, does it appear to be worth $1600? How well do they cut? Anything special to look out for?

I can't afford new so I am looking for something used but reliable.

There is also a Toro Grounds Master rinding mower with 52" deck and 17HP for $1495 OBO in the paper... but I have no idea about the condition. Also a couple of Toro's listed as 44/52... I assume they are walk behinds and that is the deck size.

Finally, there is also a Randsom? listed for $500. 48" for $500.

Any help will be appreciated.

The property has a lot of gentle slopes and a good bit of landscaping and small trees. See the attached picture... sorry, it is not the best photograph

40 pleasant road.jpg

2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Seems a little high for a secen year old mower. I paid $900 for my last used Toro and it was only four years old and it had a new engine on it. Whatever you get just make sure everything works well and it's not on the verge of a breakdown. It should be well maintained and the spindles should be tigh and well lubed. Normally used mowers fall into two categories...well maintained or OH MY GOD!!!! Just be careful, there are some crooks out there.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$1600 for that Cub Cadet is way too high.

I have 3 Toro Groundsmasters (72" deck) and can tell you they're like a tank...they go on and on. Price doesn't seem bad, though I don't know the condition.

$500 for the Ransome WB? Don't expect a lot.

4. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

After reading some of the other forums, I assumed that the price was high for the Cub Cadet but it is valuable to get your inputs. The more I look at the property the steeper the hills get! How do the ZTR's handle a slope?... or should I stick to looking for a used walk behind?

Also, is hydro necessary for this property or is it only a "nice to have"?

Thanks fella's!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Go for a WB...they go places a Z can't (like steep slopes). If you can afford it, get a hydro. They're easier to operate and have a higher resale value as well.

Good Luck.