Walk behind or Hustler 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Nov 8, 2004.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I was reading about the two different mowers. Trying to keep it small so I can get in the gates of a few of my customers (I'm just getting into the business looking for faster equipment for residential yards). It seems that both of these mowers have about the same blade tip speed.

I thought the commercial mowers had the 18,000+ speed and residential didn't and that was the main difference between the two. For about the same cost which is better or what are the main differences that the spec sheets don't show....just getting educated.....I know it'll be the commercial mower....but remember I want to ride not walk. :)

v/r
    Gary

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Have you considered a 36 Wright Stander, or Dane Stander? You can ride on both of these in a standing positon. You can also opt for a Gravely 34Z, which some guys like. You could get a walkbehind, and most will accept a velke so you can stand and ride behind them. Lots of options. I would get a commercial duty machine, it will be built for heavy use and abuse, and most times the "residential types" do not have a motor that would hold up to the rigors commercial use. Go commercial if you are in it for the long haul.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I wish I would have gotten the Dixie Chopper 36" rider. My hustler is nice, but it takes up so much space in my truck. The chopper looks like a much better deal. The hustler is heavy also,

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Nitro,
    I bought a Hustler 36 Fastrak a few months ago for $3400 and I have around 40 hrs on it and have had no problems with it at all. Its easy to use on hills and gets through gates and weighs just 550lbs. It has a Kawasaki Courage 15 hp on it.
    I have since sold my walk-behind and my job has been a whole lot easier. I would highly recommend this mower!
    David

5. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the dealer around here and it was listed at 3400 but he'd let it go for 3200....probably because we've already had our first freeze this year and it'll probably sit there all winter. I used a regular riding mower this past year but it still takes forever to cut the 3 acres I have....I'm hoping the hustler can cut that time down dramatically.

v/r
    Gary

6. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

$3200 is a good deal but with 3 acres to cut see what kind of deal he would give you on the 42". If you can get that for just a few hundred more than that would be the best bet.