1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Or Rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNYFarmboy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy LawnSite Member

I am looking into getting either a walk behind or a rider mower. Now I have using a JD 332 with a 50in deck for 15 years. Now I am looking at getting either a 61" scag walk behind or a 52" scag tiger cub w/honda engine. Now I have about 4-5 acres of lawn and it takes us now with the JD about 4-5 hrs to mow. It is pretty much flat open lawn, but we do have a hill by our garage, but i figured if I need to I can mow that with the trimmer. I just wondered what mower you guys think would be a better buy. My buddy told me that a walk behind with a 2-wheel sulky is not that bad to ride on, but he said a rider would be alot nicer. Also is there going to be a big difference with mowing times between the 52" and the 61" decks. Just looking to get the best machine for my needs.
  2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is if for home use or do you cut commercially?
  3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If it's pretty much wide open and flat like you say it is I wouldn't even consider a w/b. Get the 61" ZTR rider and be finished in about two hours :cool2:
  4. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

If money is not a big concern and your time is, then get a 60" ZTR rider and be done in less than 2 hrs. Or if the other way is more important then buy the cheaper mower and spend more time. It is just a matter of choice. If this is just for your lawn, then you will need quality equipment but not commerical grade. Have fun.
  5. CNYFarmboy

I dont really want to spend alot of time mowing the lawn. Also, would I notice a big difference in mowing times, if i went with a 52" instead of a 61". The 52 would be the rider and the 61 would be the WB. I have heard that the ZTR can not hold grades and can not really hold going down hills also, is this true? I just want to make the right choice. Thanks for the replies so far.

Also I do want commercial grade equipment, just becuase I want something that will last.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

ZTRs can hold some grades I often do 20-25 degrees with out much trouble anything over that and you had better be one very skilled driver. I have several lawns where although I will use the rider I will NOT let any of my men do the same. A nice trick on the riders is pick up the weights for the front it helps a lot with sticking to a grade.

As for the time difference from a 52 rider to a 61 walk behind. Probably not that much but I think the rider will beat the bigger walk behind. I replaced a 48-inch belt drive exmark metro with a 44-inch exmark Lazer hp. The smaller lazer cut around 150% more grass then the larger walk behind hence the WB is going bye bye this month.
  7. CNYFarmboy

See I have a friend that used to have a LCO and I have been asking him all these questions also. He is the one that told me about the ZTR's not being able to a grade. He actually told me his partner put there ZTR into the river one day. So he said at that point he was going to be the only one to run that machine. But this was 5-6 years ago, and the ZTR's have probably gotten better built since then, maybe not I do not know.