Walk Behind OR Rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB1LNDSCPR, Jan 18, 2004.

1. JB1LNDSCPR

JB1LNDSCPR LawnSite Member

I am looking for some equipment and i am not sure if the big jump in price is worth the money for a rider when you can ride on a sulky.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Try it and see. Its worth it.

3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Scott. Riders are much more productive.

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

''Riders are more productive''

Thats funny,seems like every one else seems to preach w.b. Just wondering because i will be getting a new mower next month.
    And dont want to get a w.b. and then say **** i should have bought a ztr.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use to have walkbehinds. Did not take long to figure out that Z's are much more productive. Bunch of times we will unload beside another LCO using walkbehinds. They are always sweaty and tired looking. As we are loading to head to the next job they are not even half way through with their job. You think they would figure it out by watching us beat them week after week! :)

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on your properties. I cant even get a 48 on a quarter of my properties. Why have a rider that Is more productive on big properties and less productive on small. Out of the ones I can get a 52" and up they have hills and I cant justify the price to roll a 8000 machine. For me a 36 is perfect untill I have a min of 10 properties (residential or commercial) that can improve my time by at least 15 hours per month. That would justify a rider.

It is personal preferance and what your properties dictate. buy what will make you the most money.

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i guess that even if they are just the little bit slower i like Averys point. Ride it babby and dont be dog tired every day.
    Maybe i will get a new ztr this year and a used w.b. for smaller stuff next year.Sounds like a good combo to me.

8. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I ditto what Avery said. Much more productive and at the end of the day your not totally exhausted.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the time my guys perfer wb's over riders which is fine with me becuase it is a lot less expensive. We use riders the most during the hot heat of summer when we are having those 100 degree days. I don't have enough riders for everyone so they have to alternate who uses them.

10. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

it all depends on the jobs you have, personally i don't like ztrs because they tend to slide on an incline. also, i think ztrs are for old folks who don't have the strength us younger guys do.