walk behind or stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plc2005, Mar 23, 2008.

1. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

Which is better for small residential lawns? I don't want to bring my walker onto the smaller lawns because I find it skids too much, and I feel like I take for ever with a push mower. I'm looking at a WRIGHT stander, and a TORO or WALKER walk behind. Do the standers skid very much? Any info would be appreciated.

2. nysuz

nysuz LawnSite Member

go with the walk behind unless you are really good with the trimmer

3. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

THE NEW STANDER IS GOOD AND FAST BUT IF THE LAWNS ARE 1/4 ACRE OR LESS IT IS POINTLESS WRIGHT ALSO HAS THE GATEWAY WHICH IS A 52" THAT FLIPS TO A 36" BUT I AM A EXMARK GUY.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

4. esparzalandscaping

esparzalandscaping LawnSite Member

Wright standers will skid on turns if you don't know how to use them properly... about the trimmer, that's false imho... i can give you just as good a cut from any stander/sentar or a walk behind. The maneuverability and quality of cut from Wright products have made walk behinds obsolete to my business.

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the how small these lawns are. If it is around a 1/8 to 1/4 acre, I think a wb is far more versatile. We did try stander on small lawns like this and it seems we were trying to force it to work, when in reality the wb was superior due to all the obstacles and tight spaces.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand how a hydro 36" walkbehind like scag or snapper will out maneuver the sentar.:confused: We got all three and the real efficiency is will the stander. If money was no problem we would replace all the wb units.

7. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Stander is a a walk-behind without walking. The cut is great, very manueverable, hold hills great, they go fast, Wright Standers are built like tanks...If money isn't a problem go Stander for sure!

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I should have been more specific, on a lot of my small yards, the only thing I have found that is really efficient is a 21 wb and sometimes maybe a 32 if you can get it through the gates. The 36 inch stander that we tried on all these lawns was just more trouble than it was worth. Believe me we wanted it to work. By the time you fight the gates, swing sets, and birdbaths etc. The smaller wb worked better for us.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ok thanks I understand we have some small ones we use 21" on also and it is less trouble. We tried a 32" for awhile and like you say still more trouble than it was worthl.

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

go with the walkbehind! im bout to purchase another one!!