Walk Behind or Tractor

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by northeast22, Jun 15, 2008.

1. northeast22

northeast22 LawnSite Member

As a homeowner, we're always striving for that professional cut on our lawn. I have a JD LX266 42" that does a good job. However, when ever I have the pro's cut (for vacation), the cut looks much better.

Thinking about changing to a 54" walk behind. I've read that the blade speed is up over 18000 rpm's for the walk behinds, which produces a better cut. Hydro cost more, but is easier to handle. Looked at JD, ExMark, Toro and Scag.

Any advice from the experts out there? Thanks!!

2. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

If you consider a tractor, look at Simplicity. Simplicity makes a fine deck and leaves an excellent cut. If the 42" deck currently used is enough, then Simplicity has a great 44" deck.

Good luck,

Jack

3. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

As a homeowner, turned lawn guy - get a walk behind. The tractor will take you longer ot mow with than the WB.

I had a very nice Craftsman that I bought for Father's Day last year, it was a great mower. But when I made the decision to get into lawn work seriously - the first thing i did was sell it and buy commercial equipment.

The cut is better, the machine will last longer, you will actually enjoy cutting your lawn.

I went from a 52" deck on my lawn tractor, down to a 36" Exmark Metro (used). I managed to shave about 20 minutes off the time it takes me to mow my lawn at home.

It shouldn't be faster, but it is.

Find a nice WB, whether it be new or used - it'll last you your lifetime. If you're looking for a nice John Deere I know where there are two cherry machines - but they are in Wisconsin. They both have about 200 hours on them, were owned by St. Croix County in Western Wisconsin. Both electric start, belt drive, with sulky;s, etc. One is 36", the other is a 52". I know they want about $1500 for the 36" unit, not certain on the 52".

It's at the JD dealer in Baldwin, WI.

have fun.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

how big is your yard? hills? obstacles????? budget??? what else do you plan to do with the mower?? attachments?? sweepers??? aerators?? these are things that need to be known before someone can offer you a valid opinion with any insight.

5. northeast22

northeast22 LawnSite Member

My yard is just about an acre, with a slope in the back. Not too many trees. Used equipment is ok. I'm in NJ. I thought there was a used part of this site.

Thanks everyone!

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

No question about it. You will be MUCH happier with a walk behind. Faster, better cut and less maintenance. As far as brand...look for a local dealer. Service is more important than anything.