Walk behind or ZTR? Which would be better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wyllner's L & Landscaping, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Wyllner's L & Landscaping

Wyllner's L & Landscaping LawnSite Member

This season I am getting a new mower with a 48" deck. Would it be better do go with a bobcat Fast Cat with a 48"deck, 19 horse Kaw. KAI, or a Snapper Pro hydro walk behind with a 48" deck, 17 horse, Kaw. KAI. I mow about 50 residential lawns. I like both mowers, but which has the best cut, best control,and is most efficient.
    Any comments would help.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

You will get a lot of different responses to your question. Each mower has its pros and cons. I personally (with my age and health anyway) would take a ztr anyday over walking or standing. I will say though I have never used a walk behind as they are not popular in my area at all.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont like either brand. I would get a 48 or 52 Wright Sentar Sport.
  4. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The ZTR will be a lot faster (more efficient, more productive) and you won't be as tired. Just out of curiosity, why have you narrowed it down to these 2 options? Have you looked at other brands already and this is the final pick?
  5. Wyllner's L & Landscaping

Wyllner's L & Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. The reason I narrowed it down to these two is because I have look at a few other brands and models and I like these to the best, I have heard many good things, also my dealer sells them and I really like my dealer and would like to give them the business and form a better relationship, I would also consider a Toro. I have a 36" Proline walk behind, belt drive, with pistol grip. I have come to hate pistol grip, they hurt my hands and I think I am starting to develop carpal tunnel. So I like to loop handles of the snapper and I like the bobcat because the controls they too look like they would be easy on you hands. Also this may sound stupid but I do also like they way the look too.
    If you have any recommendation to any other mower, please let me know I am still open to suggestion. I havn't pulled the trigger on one yet.
  6. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Hey quality lawncare Do you mow in brunswick any I am located on st. simons. If so what are your rates for the area.
  7. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Gosh, easiest choice to make...the Z. period. 50 resi on a 48" Z is a zip, easy money in pocket. Plz spend time on trimming and edging especially bush-hedging that is where hard HARD work comes in. no brainer. WB is for hill, rarely nowdays who uses wb as main mower, it is time consuming and energy draining.:nono: