1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walk behind or ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian B, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

so right now i am planning on starting my own mowing business next summer and i am debating on whether to get a good walk behind and just not pick up any real rough yards or any really big ones. or should i go with a 60" ztr or smaller. the walk behinds are considerably less expensive so it is a hard decision. what do you guys think i should get. and what brand
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, a wb is more versatile than a rider. Maybe get a middle size like a 48" wb then if you can get bigger yards get a bigger rider. I have almost no experience in this business though.
  3. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

can a 48" walk behind fit through gates of backyards? because i want to push mow as little as possible. lol
  4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" deck on my Exmark, cuts great comfortable ride. but it's a little too wide to fit in most gates! Exmark does (or used to) make a 44" deck on one of their ztr's which would fit in alot more gates. I have a John Deere 36" W/B that is the ticket to getting in back yards!
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You don't need 60" Z to start this biz cause you will be too much in debts.
    I would suggest getting a 48" rider to start, don't buy wb new, it ain't worth effort. You can get a used 48 wb later once you have enough accounts to justify addition. A 48" Z , and a 21 for small gates should get you great business.
  6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A 48 wont fit through all gates...so you may be pushing alot more than you want. Thats why I got a 36"....fits through every gate I have...and 60% of my customers have gates that a 48 wouldnt fit through.
  7. VT_K9

VT_K9 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I bought a 42" ZTR. I found several slopes were too much for it. I bought a very inexpensive belt drive 48" WB. I usually start with the WB and keep going as it is time wastes swaping machines. I don't have any gates, but a 36" WB would be the way to go if that is your main concern.

I am selling my ZTR (2005 Dixon SpeedZTR 42") to fund a quality 48" walk behind hydro (Hustler Trimstar). I mow some wet areas an the belts tend to slip.

My .02

8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

Get a better quick 36 for now. Get the best one - the one with the kawasaki engine. You'll own it for a long time. Later when you've earned enough money and you see the NEED get a 60" z. That combination will have you set for any conditions - any size yards - for many years. even if you take on help that combination will work well for you.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Terrific advice!
  10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

This is exactly right. You can do a lot of work with a 36 walk behind and a pushmower. All can fit in the back of a truck. Work town houses and small properties till you build up. This can be a very profitable set up. When you are starting out always think about your profit margin. buy what you need to make money now. You will know when it is time for a rider.