Walk behind or ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Jan 11, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I need a bigger mower. But I can't really decide on what to get. I know a ZTR is going to be more expensive but is it worth paying the extra money for one? My dealer has a 44" 15 HP Toro and he said he'll sell it to me for $5000.00 (CND). Is this a good deal? This is about $3300.00 US. I saw the exmarks for the first time at a trade show yesterday and they are about $7500.00 CND which is approx. $5000.00 US. I picked up some bigger commerical for this season. Your suggestions on what you would pick is appericated.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you are not going to be cutting bigger than say 18/m sf lawns or bigger, I would avoid the ztr and upgrade your belt drives to say a 52" hydro with a sulky.

This way you increase productivity in your market, yet have a machine you can utilize ALL the time.

Just my .02
    Kris

3. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

If you can ride all your properties...get a 52or 61 inch Z rider. Keep a walk-behind for tight spots, too steep hills or as a back-up. Also worth looking at are stand-on mowers. I have a 52"Zrider, 61"stander and 52"belt drive walk-behind. The walk-behind stays at home unless I know it's needed. They all have their place in the line up. The bigger mowers open doors to bigger properties and far better production per hour on site. Whether you're one man or 20 man crew, I see no reason to not have best commercial equipment for job you can get. BTW, the Toro 44" walk-behind is a terrific machine. I ran one for 9 years and than sold it for $1200 (usd).

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If money is an issue and you really need a wider cut then look at the Wright Stander. Alamia has the 52" 18 HP for $4895.00 USD - free shipping.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with KutnKru.

6. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

go with the ZTR i had the same question this year. i decided on the 52inch rider does a great job increased my profit almost double over what i was doing with a 48 inch walkbehind. this adds up really fast and the price paid is forgotten quickly

7. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

PCS: We've still got our 52" WB for sale. $3200.00 is (I think) a great price for a mower that size in mint condition. It cuts equally well on medium/large residentials and on commercial sites. Sounds like it'd be a perfect fit for you.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A no brainer, get a ZTR. Not only will it almost double your production, you won't be as tired at the end of the day.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

pcs, it's worth a visit to MR Jutzi's Spring turf sale for you. Here's the website, just don't try to bid against me or I'll run you up real fast. :)
    Keep an eye on this site and they will have the listings of what will be at the sales. Give me a call if you have any questions about them. I buy and sell at auctions almost every week, it's a good place to find back up equipment.
    http://www.mrjutzi.on.ca/

10. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Cantoo: What kind of equipment do they have at these auctions usally?