1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind or ztr????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Oct 26, 2004.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking for next year...
    I currently have a 32" viking hydro with a sulky.. I i've been mulching pretty much all year and I plan to mulch all next season or atleast try to...
    Now for the question I do mostly residential props. I have been trying to get some commericals but thats another problem....
    So next season I'm going to want to invest in a wider mower, with a turf tracer 23hp 52" with a sulky or a exmark lazer. I have a feeling that the wb would be better as its lighter so i'll be able to use it on the wet rain soaked lawns!!!! and not cause to much rutting.
    I have a leaf loader so I don't think a ultra-vac would be of much use....
    I figure with a 52"wb I will be able to tough out some larger com props if I get some. What do u guys think. Maybe some Pros and Cons of both???
    Thanks in advance
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Meet in the middle , and demo a new 23hp 52" Wright Stander..
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I like to ride so I would definately get the Lazer z. It will cost you a little more but If you are planning on getting more properties then you will probibly wan't to go with the z. Just my opinion.
  4. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

If you are doing primarily residential then by all means lean to teh hydro walk behind! Some jobs might take you a few minutes longer but the quality and versatility of the walk behind will be worth it! A rider is an expensive luxury, especially if you will not be using it at least 400 hrs per year. A couple of good walk behinds is a good fleet to begin with! Any major commercial hydro 52 will be fine--lean towards the dealer that you are most comfortable with!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I stay with 48 inches or less on my walkbehinds, the most used mower we run.
  6. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Stander.... I want a floating deck machine.. I can ride with a bull rider sulky only problem is it makes the machine pretty long....
    But good point on the ztr of not being used for 400 hours a week...
    So now the question is 52 or 48 I see no point in getting the smaller one...
    23hp should be plenty right???
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The rider will be more productive due to speed and cutting deck size as long as you have properties that you can utilize it on. Meaning if all of your accounts are just say ΒΌ acre then you are just going to spend time turning on the rider. Only you will know what is best for your situation.

8. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

What does the budget say? If residentials are the majority then I see no real reason for Z unless you are bringing in the cash already. Speed isnt going to be the biggest reason to choose mower for you. Residentials are pickier customers for me. I would buy a WB 52" I currently have 52 WB and 44 Z master. The Z is faster speed wise. But the WB makes up for it in width. They both cut fine but less moving parts to maintain on the WB. Cost less to run a WB but Z is more comfortable for huge accounts. Sitting is always better. However on RESIDENTIAL you'll be on and off in no time so not a concern. Just depends on your accounts and your cash flow.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Deere and Great Dane both offer floating deck standers.... :)
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can try one of these.